installing client printer in terminal server

it might sound weird, but i have tried the microsofy forums, but the replies i got was quite unsatisfactory. so i guessed posting it here would be best. i am having some problems in installing a client printer (LPT Connection) running in a TS(terminal server) environment. the client is connecting to the server via internet. and the terminal server runs on win2000. i have set the RDP settings to connect to all local printers and the driver that i am using for the printer (HP Deskjet 400) is a standard windows driver, but still i am not able to install a client printer. anyone care to shed some light on this? jordan

Terminal Server does NOT support any connection back to the client. (drive or printer) In order to do so, you need to install Citrix! //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

are u sure, cause that is not what the Micosoft forums say… damn it… they did not even put that in their microsoft forums… made me waste a whole week looking a way to connect to a client printer.

Local Printing it should work For windows 2000 terminal services (terminal server)but only on parallel port (usb does’nt work) and make sure your client use RDP 5. Aloi

how do i make sure that the client uses rdp 5? by default i thought the client connects to a Win2K terminal server using rdp 5 rite? Edited by - jordi79 on 2002 Apr 02 06:49:37

quote:

Originally posted by Hhelgesen: Terminal Server does NOT support any connection back to the client. (drive or printer)

Are you sure? If you have remote workstation 192.168.10.1 with printer epson. 1. share printer on workstation 2. on terminal server install printer on port //192.168.10.1/epson On user setup check connect printers or something like that (it depends on TS version). Apply latests SP on TS !!!

If you are using a PC as client and you install the software from your win2000 terminal services it should be RDP 5, but if you are using Windows Terminal Hardware (WT/Thin Client) you have to ask the manufacturer. If you use a pc as a client just add local printer on your computer, then when you connect to TS Server you will see your printer on the list. Aloi

yes, that is what the manual says. but some how i am not able to see my printer. while connected as TS client, when i attempt to add a printer manually, i am supposed to add the printer using a TS port, but all in the listing of ports i see are “INACTIVE TS PORTS”.

When you say install, do you actually mean the installation of the drivers, or that the drivers are already installed, just the connection to the LPT port is not working? Make sure that the user has administrator privs for the install. Of course make sure that the client can print locally. Remove and install the drivers for the printer on the client, making sure that it is set as the default when you finish. Either way, Citrix is the way to go with client printing. Even though it has it’s own set of problems, it is much more of an open printing environment.

i am accessing the clients using with administrator rights… but anyway, we have decided to install citrix. and i suppose all the printer problems and drive mapping problems will be solved then. but it is gonna a bit expensive though.

Make sure the printer is installed on the client PC LPT1 (Only lpt1 will get connected!) The w2k terminal has to know the drivers. This means that if the client pc is a w98 box, you need to install the printer locally on the terminal server and install additional drivers for w98 under sharing. (Check the terminal servers system log to see if it’s having trouble connecting the printer) This will usually be a driver problem! Remember to connect client printers at logon. (overide user settings to make sure) Do not disable LPT port mapping. If you can install the client printer drivers on the terminal server it should connect. However a lot of HP printers is disabled after W2K SP4! To make shure your HP will work, have a lokk here: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl10248.html

Ulrich is absolutely right. Also remember that You get at session-id in Your printer name which can change between logins. So if You want to use a printer in Printer Selectoin setup You can’t use client mapped printers. Than You must hav a printer with a NIC or map the locally connected (and shared) printer “backwards” in the login script at the WTS.

have u tried the new client version of the terminal service? it solves the printer problem entirely. if your server is running on win2003, you can map client drives as well. awesome!