How to move customization from test to Live server in the 2009 ?

How to Move customization from test server to Live Server in the ax 2009 ?

i have Xpo which i customization in the Test server ,

If you have modified only a few objects, create a project with the modified objects. Export it from the test and import it to LIVE.

Importing .xpo files is equivalent of writing code by hand, which isn’t something you should do in Production. It doesn’t guarantee that that you’ll have the same code as tested in Test (therefore you may end up with untested application in Production), it may create problems with object IDs, people often import code to wrong layers and so on.

You have two options for code deployment:

1. Copy individual layers. Don’t forget to recompile the whole application.
  2. Copy all layers. The advantage is that you don’t need recompilation, therefore it minimize downtime of Prod. It’s often prepared on a copy of the Production environment.

Note X++ code is not all you need. Almost everybody use label files and you may also need some additional DLLs, image resources etc., depending on what your solution needs.

Because the process consists of many steps (stopping AOS servers, copying files, deleteting indexes, synchronizing DB etc.), it’s wise to automate it.

It depends on how consistent the source environment is.

thanks for your reply … i changed only report object like desigen and i added around 5 display methods… in test server i am working on user layer ? so how import this things in live server ? can i simply take the Xpo of test server to import live server ?

I can’t tell you in which layer you work. In user options, you can enable displaying the active layer in status bar and the layer of changes in AOT.

To copy a layer, stop both AOS servers, copy the corresponding .aod file between application folders, delete the application index (axapd.aoi) from the target environment and start the AOS servers. Then recompile the application and synchronize the database.

But please don’t try it in production until you learn much more about AX deployments. Leave it your AX administrator.

Also immediately stop developing in the test environment. When you develop there, it stops being a test environment and you would have to create another environment for testing (unless you want to deliver code directly from Dev to Prod; which you shouldn’t want).

The question is how the changes done earlier were moved to PROD? You have not confirmed us the consistency of the application that you want to move changes from. When you don’t follow the standard(like developing in test), you may not be able to follow the best practice. There may be some others who also doing the development test. In such case you may not follow the standard suggested by Martin.

Even if they did it wrong before, I wouldn’t advise them to keep doing it wrong forever. Fixing the bug in their process would make better sense, wouldn’t it? They would just have to fix the inconsistency before deploying code.

I believe that bugs should be fixed, both in code and in processes.

If they have a problem, they should find it when testing the deployment.