delete invoices

hi all,

if I need to delete an posted invoice and there isn`t any posibility to do a credit memo, can I delete g/l entries, customer entries?, do you know if I can delete all those entries numbers without problem??, Does the system need those entries numbers to do some batch job or something like that?.

Thank you very much.

In my opinion this is a total No-Go.
You NEVER delete entries.
It’ll screw up the integrity of the system, if entries were missing.

May i ask why doing a credit-memo isn’t possible?

I would agree that this is unacceptable. Not only from a technical standpoind (although technically it’s pretty easy to do) but form a legal standpoint. Once something is posted it is part of financial history, and in most (if not all) countries it is not legal to modify financial history. It is expected that you post a correcting transaction to make up for mistakes, you’re going to have to post a credit memo to reverse an invoice.

Let me contribute to this issue too: Do not even think about deleting entries!

NO!

In case you lost where the emphasis should be…[:D]

What approach is available … ?

if we have all posted documents as old as 1995 and we plan to delete those to certain year ; For example, we want to delete all posted docs from the earliest available to end of 2004. This includes, Sales Invoice, sales shipment, purchase invoice, purchase receipt, finished production orders, and so on.

considering if there is a big “NO” on delete from the table or use F4 in the form.

Please advise.

You can delete posted documents from Navision (using F4) which does NOT delete any entries (G/L, VAT, item, etc.).

You should (as outlined previously) NEVER consider deleting any entries from protected tables directly.

Instead use the provided functionality inside NAV to “compress” entries.

Report 95 “Date Compress VAT Entries”
Report 98 “Date Compress General Ledger”
Report 198 “Date Compress Customer Ledger”
Report 398 “Date Compress Vendor Ledger”
Report 898 “Date Compress BOM Ledger”
Report 1198 “Date Compress Resource Ledger”
Report 1498 “Date Compress Bank Acc. Ledger”
Report 5696 “Date Compress FA Ledger”
Report 5697 “Date Compress FA Ledger”
Report 5698 “Date Compress Maint. Ledger”
Report 7398 “Date Compress Whse. Entries”

I think I’m not talking the same “language” … also not reading the same “language” that’s why I confuse myself several times [:$]

Just to check back, what you refer as “entries” means all tables such as item ledger entries, value entries, GL entries, vendor ledger entries, and so on … am I understand correctly? And these table are things not to delete cautions above purposed?

But for posted documents, like posted receipt (purchase receipt header + line), posted sales invoice (sales invoice header + lines), and so on … are safe to delete by F4 - or by filter - select in the table and delete. … am I understand correctly?

Thank you very much for not fed up giving cautions to members.

If legal according to your country laws and internal company procedures, it is safe to delete the posted documents.

But do but NOT - under any circumstances - delete Ledger Entries!

When I run any batch job what mentioned above then system is throwing this message

This batch job deletes entries. Therefore, it is important that you make a backup of the database before you run the batch job.

Do you want to date compress the entries? “

If it deletes the ledgerentries then what is the use of this batch Job.

Please let me know about the batch Job.

What the date compression acually does is:

It merges a certain number of records within a period based on a number of paramters which you define when running the batch job.

Therefore it creates - let’s say for all G/L entries of a month (or week, or day, or year) for each existing combination of parameters selected (like dimensions) ONE entry which reflects the total of ALL entries of the period selected with the same combination of parameters.

Therefore the original “more detailed” entries are being deleted.

The reason for using the batch jobs instead of deleting entries yourself is that the system compresses the entries in a way which does not change the balance of the account (FA, Resource, G/L, etc.) for any period. It just replaces many entries by a single entry.

Thanks Thomas,

As u said I created A new fiscal year,

I done 6 transactions for that customer , I run the batch job for that customer but It did not done any changes for that customer ledger entry.

So please let me know the scenario with a suitable example.

Please…

Please tell more about the customer ledger entries you created. Are these settled?
What is the posting date of these entries?
What is the new fiscal year you created?
Which parameters did you set when running the date compression?

Thanks Thomas,

Really you are giving good support to the freshers like me.

I request you for get about my example.

Please throw one good example to know about that one .

Thanks and regards

Make sure that:

• All entries you want to compress are applied (unapplied entries will not be compressed)
  • The system compresses at a “per Customer” base.
  • Only entries within a closed period may be compressed

Please see the following explanation (taken from help for this topic):

Date Compress Customer Ledger Batch Job

This batch job compresses customer ledger entries, that is, combines them so that they take up less space in the database. You can compress entries from closed fiscal years only and only customer ledger entries whose Open field contains “No.”

The compression works by combining several old entries into one new entry. For example, customer ledger entries from previous fiscal years can be compressed so that there is only one credit and one debit entry per account per month. The amount in the new entry is the sum of all the compressed entries. The date assigned is the starting date for the period that is compressed, such as the first day of the month (if the entries are compressed by month). After the compression, you can still see the net change for each account in the previous fiscal year.

After the compression, the contents of the following fields are always retained: Posting Date, Customer No., Document Type, Currency Code, Posting Group, Amount, Remaining Amount, Original Amt. (LCY), Remaining Amt. (LCY), Amount (LCY), Sales (LCY), Profit (LCY), Inv. Discount (LCY), Pmt. Disc. Given (LCY) and Pmt. Disc. Possible. With the Retain Field Contents facility, you can also retain the contents of these additional fields: Document No., Sell-to Customer No., Salesperson Code, Global Dimension 1 Code and Global Dimension 2 Code.

After the compression, the detailed customer ledger entries are combined into one new entry for each entry type.

The number of entries that result from a Date Compress batch job depends on how many filters you set, which fields are combined, and which period length you choose. There will always be at least one entry. When the batch job is finished, you can see the result in the Date Compr. Register.

Warning

Date Compression deletes entries, so you should always make a backup copy of the database before you run the batch job.

You can define what will be included in the batch job by setting filters. You can select additional fields on the Cust. Ledger Entry tab by pressing F3 and then clicking the AssistButton that appears to the right of the Field field. In addition, the Options tab contains other fields in which you must specify conditions for running the batch job. Fill in the fields as follows:

Cust. Ledger Entry

Customer No.: Select the numbers of the customers to be included in the batch job. To see the existing customer numbers, click the Filter field and then click the AssistButton that appears to the right.

Customer Posting Group: Select the customer posting groups to be included in the batch job. To see the existing customer posting groups, click the Filter field and then click the AssistButton that appears to the right.

Currency Code: Select the currency code to be included in the batch job. To see the existing currency codes, click the Filter field and then click the AssistButton that appears to the right.

Click the up-arrow at the lower left-hand corner of the window to see the result of the filters you have defined for the table.

Options

Starting Date: Enter the first date to be included in the date compression. The compression will affect all customer ledger entries from this date to the ending date.

Ending Date: Enter the last date to be included in the date compression. The compression will affect all customer ledger entries from the starting date to this date.

Period Length: Select the length of the period for entries that will be combined. Click the AssistButton to the right of the field to see the options. If you selected the period length Quarter, Month or Week, then only entries with a common accounting period are compressed.

Posting Description: Here you can enter text that will accompany the entries that result from the compression. The default description is “Date Compressed.”

Retain Field Contents: Place check marks in the boxes if you want to retain the contents of certain fields even though the entries are compressed. The more fields you select, the more detailed the compressed entries will be. If you do not select any of these fields, the batch job will create one entry per day, week, or another period, according to the period selected in the Period Length field.

Click OK to start the batch job. If you do not want to run the batch job now, click Cancel to close the window.

You know that you may never delete this for the tax control?

Tax inspector