creating keys

Hey, on the weekend i wanted to optimize the big tables in our native database (DE2.50). Due to a very big table (25 GB) and small space (about 22 GB) i deactivated a key, optimized the table and wanted to reactivate the key. But the reactivation failed because there was not enough space on the server ?!.. I thought the database would create a copy of the table within the database ? The key takes about 5 GB and after the optimization there is enough space in the database. What do i have to do to activate the key again ? thanks in advance STEFAN

HI, One opyion may be that u take a backup of objects, create a new database and restore that database on any system. Activate the key, export the object as .fob and then import into the main db. I hope it will work. Cheers

Hi Stefan U will have to expand the database size or deactivate some other rarely used keys to create space in existing DB.

hmm… expanding the database isn’t possible, because it is already at its maximum. Less space in the database might not be the problem, because there are still about 30 GB of space left. This is enough even for copiing the complete table (after optimization it takes about 18 GB). When i try to create the key there appears at first a message which says it comes from the server (hence i suppose the space problem is a problem of the discs). After pressing “ok” the next message tells me that there is not enough space to create the key. So what is possible else to create the key ? Is there a way to create the key in the database ? and to improve my knowledges: what does the database do if it creates a new key ?

When you create keys it allocates space for each record in that table. Have you tried to activate the key on the server itself. When you have done that Pls post the message what happened then I will check with my dadabase, what is it doing. thnx

Hey Bobby, i tried to create the key in client that is working on the server. what it tells me is ( i have to translate it from german, hence i don’t know the exact message in english): first message: “this message was received from the server” second message: “there is not enough space left on the harddisc.” “this message refers to the files and.” (<= here seems to be missing something) “use another harddisc or delete files you don’t need anymore bevor you continue your work” If there is really not enough space on the disc, which does it mean ? Our database is devided into 8 files on 8 harddiscs.

make sure you have enough space in your temppaths. Do a search on “temppath” in this forum.

If u have the funcyionality of Date Compression as in 3.XX versions, then u can compress the historical data. If not available, then u can take help from that and then try to activate the key.

Hey Girish, we are still using release DE2.50 (but we’re going to upgrade to 3.7 in the beginning of next year). I can’t imagine that space within the database is the problem, because we have still 30 GB left. This should be enough to create a key of 5 or 6 GB. But i don’t understand what the database is doing. Does it has to store data outside the database ? If yes what does it store ? In our release it seems not to be possible to change the temppathes outside a partition where navision is executed (mostly C:). So is there another way to say the database to store data at another disc or partition ?

Hey when you create a new key the server needs a tempspace to store some information, this tempspace is outside the database somewhere on the drive. If you do not have enough space on that drive the server will give this error message. Make sure you have enough space on this drive. I’m pretty sure we already cover this problem in a form topic. Search the forum about “temppath”, as ajhvdb already suggested. Fred