[NAV 3.60] - Reducing the size of the database by disabling (or deleting?) all the unused key

I came up across a cool tool on MIBUSO called Unused Key :

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=755

We’re in the process of working towards reducing our DB size (Navision 3.60 → 70 Gigas) by deleting and compressing data, I’m aware that deleting the unused keys can give pretty good reduction rate.

The thing I don’t remember is if it’s required to delete the key, or simply ticking the DISABLE field will do the job ?

What has been your experiences in disabling(deleting?) unused fields,

Beside DB size redecution, have you notice any performance improvements ?

The thing I don’t remember is if it’s required to delete the key, or simply ticking the DISABLE field will do the job ?

Disable will do the job.

What has been your experiences in disabling(deleting?) unused fields,

I would not disable fields.

Beside DB size redecution, have you notice any performance improvements ?

During busy time I’ve noticed the performance improvements.

I would do an executable update to 4.0 sp3 and tweak the existing keys. There is a new property to change the sql key and leave the existing keys the same.

Sorry I meant disabling keys not the fields

We’re on a 3.60 Native not SQL, does the property you’re refering to also work on Native, what is the name of this property ?

I have made some tests and after I disabled keys used space was released

Disabling keys in a SQL back-end Navision installation, in my opinion, is a MUST!

There is definite space saving and improved performance.

Hi Tarek,

no you can only reassign keys in SQL, in Native you must have the actual key stored in the Database and using space. IN SQL what you can do, is tell SQL to create a particular index, but it then sorts the record set in RAM, and Navision sees the data sorted as you need it. IN 4.00 you can specifically tell SQL which key to use, but even in 3.60 you can do this, and just let SQL choose the optimum key.

Anyway basically to save database size in Native, you would need to redesign reports and functionality to reuse keys. So maybe its time to start looking at an upgrade to SQL.