Weird Error Situation

I have a really bizarre situation with a common error message. This is the siutation: - I took a backup from a database on our network. - I created a new database on my local drive, and restored the backup (obs & data) into it. - I ran out of room in the DB whilst the keys where being created - I expanded the DB size. - I then went into an object (that had all its keys created) and added a new normal field and key. - I started to record the change in the Documentation section. Suddenly I got an error informing me that a Key with a SumIndexField was missing. I realised that I hadn’t finished creating the keys and saved the object. - I used Tools > Restore to resume creating the keys. - I went back into the object to finish documenting the change but still got the error. - I checked the table that was mentioned and found that the key, with all required fields and the correct SumIndexField, was there and activated. After some playing around, this is what I have found - I am getting this error whenever I try to type something on any line in the C/AL code (including documentation) where the charcter ‘?’ is present. I had used this in my documentation line because I didn’t know what release number the change would go out under. However, this happens in any object in the system. I can start a new dataport with no data items, go into C/AL, and as soon as I enter the ‘?’ character, the error message starts. If I move off that line, but stay in the object, I don’t get it - it’s only when the cursor is on that actual line. I’ve exited and re-entered the database, but it doesn’t make a difference. This does not happen on the DB from which I took the backup. This isn’t actually a major headache for me (at least until I need to enter a CONFIRM statement that requires a me to enter question text for the user…), but I thought it was bizarre enough to ask if anyone knows what’s going on? [?]

Hi Kristian, it’s really a little bit bizarre, i never had something like that nor heard about. But tell me more: - what version do you use - have you tried to export the object and tested it in an other datebase if you can extract the problem and make it traceable, please make a request in the MBS service system. br Josef Metz

Look at your file > database > Information > tables > Keys. The Keys and fields may be there but the indexes were not created when the restore stopped. This sometimes happens! NOTE: This also may happen with bad data! Regards David

Thanks guys, but I found the solution - still don’t know why it happened though. Using Araxis Merge I compared a .txt export of the table with one from the database I had originally taken the backup from. this showed that every key except the primary one had the property BackupKey set to Yes. By defaulting these back to No I got rid of the problem. Now, I didn’t actually know you could look at the properties for a key. This didn’t happen to any other tables, including the other ones that had to have their keys created after I expanded the database. So, I’ve ‘fixed’ it, but I still don’t know how it happened or why the ‘?’ charcter set it off. For reference, I’m using 3.10A. Erik - Is it okay to leave this open for a couple of days, as I’m interested to know if anyone know’s why this happened or if anyone else has come across it?

Ok… when you run out of space you SHOULD after expanding the database FINISH the restore. For finishing restoring the database, just click on restore and it will prompt you if you want first to finish the restore you were at. If you just stop on half a restore don’t blame the program because certain information is not showing correctly. Regards

I wasn’t blaming the system at all - I know I should have finished the restore imediately, but: 1) I’m not going to be the last person to have this problem, so it could be useful to have the solution in this forum. 2) I thought it was an unusual situation and wanted to know if anyone had had a similar experience. I don’t think blame on the system was in any way implied by my post. On the other hand, you are free to enable / disable non-primary keys as you like anyway, so I still think it’s bizarre that this happened.

sorry… it was not the most appropiate expresion to use [:)]. The program allows you to disable/enable different keys, but whenever you’re restoring information from a backup, if you don’t finish properly the backup you cannot expect the program working in a proper way and that cannot be considered as an error, as the data in the database is incomplete. Regards,