Automatic backup

I want to do automatic backup of Navision Attain database in a weekly basic.What is the process to do this Automatic Backup?

You can use any backup package (such as Veritas or ArcServe) to backup You file(s). Just make sure You stop the Navision Server Service first.

Hi! I assume that Veritas or ArcServe are just copiing the db-files, which is a dangerous way of creating navision-backups, because you will copy any error that might be included … What you should use is … … “HotCopy”, a standard navision-tool (3.x +), see docu on CD … “ExpandIT Backup Utility”, a third-party-tool, see www.expandit.com These tools will create “real” backups and can be scheduled with standard tool, e.g. AT, or “Task Planner” or can be started within NAVISION (SHELL()…)! kind regards, Jörg P.S.: for using these tools, you don’t have to stop the server, so you could create backups any time you want!

Just run a DBTEST after You made Your backup and BEFORE starting the server again and You’r home free. But of course Hotcopy is nice also

I think that copying fdb files is an excellent way to backup the database, better if the files are compressed. If you previously stopped the navision service, this procedure can spare you from several loss of time, one for all the waiting time for the restore of the backup in Navision!!! Just point to the files and go!!!

I believe there’s a tool from www.expandit.com, backup utility, which can be of great help. it performs navision backup on a schedule basis and send a report at the end.

quote:

Originally posted by dtruppi
I think that copying fdb files is an excellent way to backup the database, better if the files are compressed.

That’s just what hotcopy does for You, without the need to stop the server and with a with a verify of the database.

Hi! And again: COPIING FDB-FILES IS NOT A BACKUP [}:)]!!! Because then you might copy inconsistent data or other errors included, so you NEVER can be sure that your copies will work - so this is NO BACKUP, it’s just an illusion! To check the copies afterwards may be too late!!! [xx(] BACKUP means - IMO - that I have a consitent data-version I can rely on; that will do it’s job when a restore is necessary. FBK or HotCopy are the only tools - as far as I know - that are able to create such real - data-proofed! - backups. So, if space is the matter use FBK (also ExpandIT), if restore-time is the matter, use HotCopy. If you run SQL-server-db, there are additional ways for making backups, of course … Sorry, no compromise … [}:)] Jörg

Hi Joerg when you do a backup of your fileserver, do you do a syntaxcheck for each file ??? Or do you copy the files all to tape and hope that they are good ??? If I want to check alle the files on my fileserver then “Good Night”. I must proof nearly 200000 files of word , 100000 of excel and 60000 of Autocad, 35000 MS-Project, 12000 Outlook ( only .PST), and many other software. IMO that proofing has nothing to do with BACKUP !

If you stop your navision server then the data in your navision database is surely consistent. If there were errors in your data then these errors are not gone !! BUT if you don’t stop the server you will work with these errors too !! If you do a database test and you choose ‘complete’ then you will see all the ‘errors’ in your data. BUT without custimating there are these errors in data within the original Navision objects. 99% of these ‘data errors’ belong to table relations which are not proofed when inserting data and these ‘errors’ are not worth to discuss.

The last time i read very often questions for a fallback-solution for Navision. But I never heard of a solution that will realy work ! There was an answer for a solution by XOSoft, but there was no information available in germany nor in belgie or netherlands nor spain. So if you think of clustering and so on dont’t think at navision. Perhaps solutions are available for SQL - I don’t know - So if you want a stable navision and you want to customize the behaviar you only have 2 solutions :

• pay for it and let your NSC do the work
  • spend (much , many) time to learn navision, Navision isn’t a ‘Plug and Play’ systemteach your user spend time in testing

quote:

If you stop your navision server then the data in your navision database is surely consistent.

[:D] LOL, who told you this ferry tale? The only thing you do with shutting down the server is clearing the caches, commiting all data to the database. And when I’m talking about data-errors, I do not talk about e.g. a false written Customer-Name, and of course not of “dead” Table-Relations … As you might know, there’s more data saved into the db than you could see/acces, e.g. the “key-nodes” (internal indices) and other … hmmm … let’s call it “data-definition-data” (sorry, can’t find a better expression). A few years ago we had the error “1185 in Modul 19 (Block not owned by table”) “Fehler in Datenbankstruktur” (error in db-structure). After trying this and that we had to restore an FBK, because there, all these keys, blocks, etc. were re-created - really consistent! If we just had a copy of the db-files, we would have copied that “damaged” block" which would have been restored" again [xx(]. I really recommend to make real-backups as posted above … but I feel this is like telling my kids not to touch the cooker because it’s hot … they just believed when they burnt their fingers [;)] Jörg

I’m using Naviback. It makes a scheduled navision backup and restores the backup onto a backup Navision server. You can find a demo on the mibuso website. For me it’s better then the Expandit Backup solution that we also tried. So we can work 24 hours a day and we have a backup database of the day before. If we have a database problem, we could change the database with the database of the day before in less then 15 minutes. Our experience is with the native navision database but it also works with SQL.

Hi Dad, how big is your database ? how lohn does it take to do the backup? how long does it take to do the restore on backupserver ?

Database : 6 GB Navision version 2.01 Backup PC with navision client: NT 4 WS , Celeron 466 Mhz with a 20 GB IDE HD and It takes 4O minutes to take the backup and for the restore on that same IDE HD it takes another 2 hours, but with better hardware (RAID, XEON proc., more memory) it will takes less time to perform the same[:D]. So the time depends on the hardware. It takes one NAVISION client for backup after that it restores the backup on the local IDE HD. There is also an option for SQL in Naviback, but i didn’t test it. We use the copy of the database also for datamining on a local pc, so it serves two purposes. For us it is a cheap solution, but it does the job. I hope this could help you[:)]