Upgrading Client only from Nav 4 to Dynamics Nav 6

Hello all,

I am internally administrating for a manufacturing firm currently on Nav 4.0 SP2. I would like to consider doing an upgrade of the executable only (client only) to latest 6.0/2009 client. I know there are several new things that can be gained by this, but I only know specifically of

• Linking to external document files
  • Export to excel/word

I’d really like to find a simple list of the main benefits of doing an executable only upgrade, but can only find info on the differences for a full DB upload here on DUG and elsewhere. So sorry if it has been posted about before but would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

By doing an executable only upgrade will bring you all of the new features and functions, which are not part of the actual application. That means a technical upgrade to NAV 2009 will you allow you to use web services and the many other new functions here. But when I say “allow you to use” then what mean is that you do not get support for these functions inside your current database.

Also upgrading will you bring you all the optimizations done when running SQL Server etc.

I can also recommend this page: http://dynamicsuser.net/wikis/navdev/how-to-do-a-technical-upgrade-of-navision.aspx

Many thanks Erik. That helps a lot.