Turning Item Tracking on for Item Currently Not

Hello, I have a client who has implemented Inventory years ago, and tracked lot info external to Navision. They are now ready to utilize Navision for their Lot Tracking needs. I have suggested what MBS suggests: create new item records turning on Item Tracking, migrate inventory levels, block old Items. They are opposed to handling the situation like this. They would like to (if possible) eliminate the need to create all new records as they have trend analysis with the existing history, etc… for thier existing items. Also the amount of history would add DAYS onto the migration process if we approached it that way. Anyone accomplish this a different way? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide. [8D] Dez

No need to do it that way. Create a physical invoentory journal for everything. THen do it again. Now you should have two identical journals. The first one set all qty to zero, and post, this now nulls out all inventory. Now set your tracking as required. (you need to make a few minor mods to the triggers in T27, but othing major). Now add tracking info to the second journal and post it. Go baclk and remove the mods to T27. I have only done this a couple of times, but it worked fine. Annd you keep all your history.

quote:

Now add tracking info to the second journal and post it.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Jul 06 : 17:18:39

You will have to modify this journal because the calculated quantity will have the original inventory quantity and the quantity of the adjustment will be zero. Also, depending on your costing method, you may need to be carefull with the cost for the lines in this journal as it will default from the unit cost on the item card which is an average cost and cannot be assumed to be accurate unless you have just run “Adjust Cost - Item Entries”. If you are up for a bit of work you can assign a single lot number to each item (if you are using variants then you need a uniqure lot number for each item/variant) and plug this lot number into the item ledger entries. For posted documents you have to build item entry relation and value entry relation records. Also, it’s a real mess dealing with the tracking specification (336) and reservation entry (337) tables so I would require that there are not orders that are shipped/received but not invoiced.

Yes Jack, you are quite correct. Though Dez’s comment that HIS (difference between “I have” and “we have”) client implemented a number of years ago, by default implies that he has been doing this for years, and (one hopes) knows what he is doing, so I was just giving him the basics. THen again the fact that he posts an “implementation methods” question to the “technical forum” probablu indicates that he is not too sure. [^]

Thank you VERY much for the great info! Dez