Transfer Order from Production Order?

My company has an offsite warehouse which has all of the raw materials that are needed for production. We are currently printing the pick list from the production order to the offsite warehouse to tell them what needs to be transferred. In the future we are wanting to do a weekly transfer of all of the materials needed for production. Transfer orders appear to be the best option for this. However, I was wondering what the best method is for creating the lines on the transfer order other than manually adding each line. I know that with order picking for sales orders a shipment is automatically created. Is there similar functionality with production orders? In other words, how is demand created for production orders and where can warehouse see this in the system on a consolidated basis?

I am using AX 2012.

Why not use planning? Set the item coverage at the production warhouse to pull from teh offsite warehouse and then on the loading of Production it will create the transfer orders for you depending upon the coverage code setup.

I was looking into setting the warehouse to refill, but I could not find enough information to make me believe it solved everything we were trying to do. Do you think you could help me with the steps to get that up an running (or point me to some documentation on the setup)? Would I check the “Refilling” check box on the production warehouse and then go to the item and set the min/max level for that item’s production warehouse? How should I set up the coverage group for the item? I just currently do not know enough about AX to try and get it set up without some direction.

Thanks for the help.

Coverage Group can be setup at Master Planning module. MP>Setup>Coverage group. You need to create coverage group and assign it to Item at Inventory module.

IM> Item … goto General (TAB) and specify Coverage group which you have created in earlier step.

I understand that part. I just don’t know what settings I should have for the coverage group to get it to behave the way I want.

It depends - do you transfer in one, or would you be looking to consolitdate?

The refill means it will default on the item coverage. I guess you only want it when there is demand, but requirement would mean you get lots of lines. Try period with a coverage period of 10 and coverage time fence of 30 and then see. Then alter these

We want it to be consolidated. So, once a week the warehouse will transfer all of the necessary raw materials for every production order from the raw materials warehouse to the production warehouse. Through the setup we are discussing, is it possible to have all of the required raw materials on one transfer order and/or shipment?

Theoretically yes depending upon the requirement pattern, lead times and safety stock levels at the raw materials warehouse.

Set every item in the BOM up with an item coverage group of period. set the coverage period to 7 and the coverage time fence to 28 - this means it will look out 4 weeks but bucket into single weeks. Ensure the coverage group is set in teh item coverage and this is done at warehouse level (Dimension group needs to be set for this) and then ensure the planned order type is Transfer and teh raw material warehouse is set.

Load a BOM, plan, the transfer orders will be set. Ensure when you firm you set the transfer order group by period to week to get one order for all of the selected suggestions.

For the sake of my explanation, the raw materials warehouse is 1, the floor/production warehouse is 5, and the finished goods warehouse is 3.

In the warehouses, I went to warehouse 5 and selected refilling and chose warehouse 1 as the main warehouse.

Next, I went to the raw material items I need and set up the coverage group the way you said. I went into the item coverage and created a new one. Do I use warehouse 5 as the warehouse? Also, do I set the min and max levels both at 0? Also, what setup needs to be done with dimension groups?

Next, I went into the planned orders and created a new planned order with the type of transfer and then selected the finished good for the item number. What warehouse do I put in for the from and to warehouses (is it from 1 to 5)? Then I went to firm the planned order (not sure where to set the transfer order group by period to week).

At this point should a transfer order be created? Because when i go to planned transfer and have to select the requested transfer order I do not have one for the raw materials.

I really appreciate your help.

Okay so you make item X in warehouse 3. This has a BOM that consumes from warehouse 5.

You have set the warehouse 5 to refill from 1.

Go to the raw material and create the coverage group. If you need to define the warehouse the dimension group is at the level we require. Create a line and define warehouse 5 - this is you telling the system how to plan at 5. On the general tab the planned order type should be transfer with warehouse of 1 set.

You need to have picked a coverage group of period against the item and this should be set on the record. Check the settings on the general tab. Leave min and max at 0 - max you cannot enter anyway. You leave these as you do not want to hold stock in 5.

Do not go to the planned order screen next. Next you load a production order for the item on warehouse 3 (Or a sales order your choice for the test). Then you run planning, periodic option in Master Planning. This then creates all of the required orders as planned, telling you to move stock from 1 to 5 and potentially purchase at 1.

If you had the firm coverage fence set to 7 it would auto-firm the planned orders required within a week, but I would not recommentd this at the moment. Instead you highlight the ones required and firm them, on the firm process check the transfer order grouping is set to a week, this then creates one actual transfer order for all the requirements.

Those steps seemed to do the trick. Thanks again.