Tasked

I’m new to this site and new to Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

My employer has an unfortunate story. For $130,000 they had Navision installed, but had no training. They are hoping that I can get Navision working for them and from what I see, there’s so much that Navision can do, and for $130,000, they really need it to work for them.

Now I don’t know much about Navision so it’s up to me to really start getting it working. I thought I’d learn about the product first, then start getting simple, but useful things working, and ultimately, maybe entire business reports.

I really hope that I’ll learn about all the resources available to me to learn about Navision and how to really get it working.

Welcome to exiting the world of Dynamics Nav. I presume that you must have the Nav manuals. Will you be responsible for development on it too?

Can you tell us a bit about your background and experience. Do you have experience with other financial systems and with the related business processes? Are you in a position of knowing, and understanding, the business processes and just need to figure out how to apply Navision? This experience can be helpful as it gives you a context from which to learn Navision. I had about 10 years of experiense, with other packages, before starting to work with Navision. I think my learning curve would have been longer and more difficult without that experience.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn’t ask my employers if they had them, sadly. I really should have. I’m not responsible for really any development, it’s more about whatever I can do to get their money’s worth out of the product. When I looked at it, I could see what the developers where aiming for, I can see the real use of this product already.

I have no experience with financial software other than double ledger software such as Kmymoney and Gnucash. None of these are like this. My employers aren’t putting a whole lot of pressure on me, however, I feel really confident (perhaps over confident) that I can really get some use out of this. Heck, what an opportunity, even!

It’s a small company and they owners are very easy to deal with. I can walk into their office any time I want. Anyways, to me, it’s kind of thrilling to hit the ground running–thinking on my feet. [:)]