Serial Numbers

I hope I explain this correctly, if you have any questions please let me know. We are currently using NAV 4.0, but will be going to 2009 quickly and want to settle this issue when I upgrade.

Current situation, we sell an item that has 3 serial numbers associated to it. NAV currently assigns its own serial number to that item and then transfers that S/N to our service module, but that does nothing for us because we need the three separate S/N’s carried over to service. I would imagine a customization would take care of this, but I was wondering if there was any other way.

I know we could separate the three items and sell them individually, but we don’t have a price from them individually, only a combined price. Is there another way to set that up so you see the three line items, but then a packaged price instead of the three separate prices.

Any help that you give, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin

I am afraid not, a serial number is the unique identifier of a single item, so having three unique identifiers has little benefit in the standard software. You are correct that if you sold them individually they would all be tracked, but as you cannot you are left with modifying the serial number process to handle this, at least that is what is sounds like from what you have described.

If you use NA version - maybe KIT of 3 items can be as solution? I don’t have Kitting in my localisation, so can’t check it…

If I have understood you correctly.

you want to define a package sale price based in serial numbers. I can’t make it using standard functionalities. Sales price can be defined based in quantity / date / etc not by serial number.

What you could do with customization way.

Assemble a new item using Kitting / Manufacturing (If you have serial numbers you must one of them). Then change sales price table to support serial numbers. When a user selects a serial number it could make sale price based in serial information. This is the most simple price structure you can have many companies have complex price structures. In computer hardware resellers this happens a lot because sales price in based in unit cost / serial number.