Reporting for End Users

Our company has recently installed Nav 5.0. We are a smaller company, about 100 employees, with multiple locations. How can I get reporting with drilldown capability to non accounting management? I need something simple and would just as soon not have those users in Navision. I would also like to be able to create the reports on my own. I have some report writing experience.

Quite simple, Jet Reports.

Its relatively cheap, easy to use and is used fairly universally. It is also all written in excel.

(it is possible to learn to write reports in Nav, but they are not that easy and require a fair amount of coding knowledge)

Start with using report designer…if you have report designer in your license…

Hi Tom,

A few questions first:

What database are you using? - If SQL 2005 have you considered using SQL reporting services?

What information do you want to share?

If you want the drilldown capability and not to use Nav licenses for the users then a seperate reporting package will most likely be required.

Well, for designing reports you need a granule to design reports I don’t know you if have that granules, you can check in your license.

For starting designing reports you could take a look at Application designers guide that is in NAV installation CD. If you have access to customersource you could also download more training manuals.

Reporting in NAV it’s somehow limited in terms of look and feel, so you can design expandable reports at user click. You should take a look at existent reports to know which reports types you can create.

Most of the target users want to be able to simply run a report that has drilldown functionality. Will Jet Reports do that?

Thanks. I will take a look at report designer.

We are using SQL 2005 and reporting services has been discussed. A few years back I used a query reporting tool called Forest & Trees (not sure if it is still around) so I am comfortable building reports.

I want to get P&L information to district managers. I want to present summary information with the ability to drill to the document level. My concern is that the district managers are not sophisticated users (former QuickBooks users) and I am afraid that they will not navigate through Navision very easily. Ideally, I would like a point and click solution for them.

I have enough licenses to cover everyone.

Thanks for the input.

Using reporting services to create financial reports it’s also an option, the major drawback of that is having to create reports using SQL query language.

I used AQL a few years back and am OK using it. See me reply to Dave T’s questions. My major concern is making it simple / easy for non accounting managers to run reports with drill downs.

For me one of the simplest reports to end users with drilldown capability probably is reporting services.