Process flow question converting sales quote to sales orderproc

Hello my NAV buddies: [:O]

I am working with a company and they have decided that they do not want to click “place order” when a sales quote has been accepted by the customer. Instead, they have the sales order processor create a new sales order and use the “copy document” function to copy the sales quote header and lines to the new sales order.

They do this because they do not want the sales quotes deleted from the system. Is there any disadvantage to this method of not deleting sales quotes even after the customer places the order (or in other words, are there any major advantages to clicking “place an order” vs. copying the sales quote to a new SO?).

For example, does it throw off any relevant data?

Obviously, it will result in a huge list of sales quotes and might mess up process flow?

Why? For historical records?

You may consider using Archive… functionality. It will keep the SQ in SQ archive even after Make Order…

Besides, it allows to archive VERSIONS of the same SQ - say, the initial offering, then the changed version where some discounts might be offered to customer, maybe more intermediate versions as they might appear up to final version upon which the negotiations with customer finalised.
All the archived versions have consecutive numbering plus additional tracking data who and when arhived it.

However, this functionality is designed for different purpose - to give user a opportunity to restore a SQ to some previous version easily (if there are several). As soon as order is made and therefore the SQ deleted, you can no more RESTORE an archived version, because original SQ does not exist anymore, but you still are able to view how it looked like.

I think probably for historic purposes or so they can reuse the quote for a different customer. I don’t know if there method causes any problems other than having a large list of sales quotes and it is probably more difficult to know which quotes need to be followed up on… Thanks for your feedback Ivans.