Populating new global dimension values in GL Entry

I am involved in a project to add new dimensions to etrac to aid in reporting. The project involves adding 6 new global dimensions that will be included on new transactions, but also on the existing transactions in the G/L Entry table.

there is a way to proceed with this, but I’ve got a question about the Ledger Entry Dimension table. As we are manually populating the existing transactions in G/L Entry with the new dimension values, do we also have to populate the Ledger Entry Dimension table with entries for the new dimensions as well? What is the purpose of the Ledger Entry Dimension as far as Nav is concerned?

Ledger entry dimension stores dimension values for all posted ledger entries, and that is the way the application allows users to create n number of dimensions, in-fact if you look and the database design for dimensions functionality in the application in detail, you will rather think why there are global dimension fields in the G/L entry table as the purpose is resolved with Ledger entry dimension table. The global dimension fields on the G/L entry (Ledger entry) table(s) is backward compatibility with previous versions of Navision where Department code and Project code fields exists, and also these 2 global dimensions fields helps in achieving filters on some reports and flow filters on the chart of Accounts. but the ledger entry dimension table helps in user defined dimensions and analysis views/analysis by dimensions.

Changing the no. of global dimensions will require modification to lot of objects, and you should try to avoid, and look for solution to provide the requested functionality creating short-cut dimensions and creating analysis views,if possible.

cheer!

Thanks for that detailed explanation - I think I may not have been very clear about what I’m wanting to do.

We’re using Serenic, so we have 8 global dimensions available - IE we won’t have to add our own dimensions, they are already there for us.

We just need to populate the new dimension values on a lot of existing in data in the G/L Entry table, and we’re also thinking that we may have to populate the Ledger Entry Dimension table as well as updating the global dimensions on each transaction in G/L Entry. Given that we don’t use the analysis views in Nav (we build our own SQL reports) I don’t think it will be necessary to add the dimension values to the Ledger Entry Dimension table, if I’m understanding you correctly.

Yes, you are right, if you arn’t using analysis views you don’t need to populate the ledger entry dimension table.

I recently have started to use the analysis views, and as such have become very familar with the ledger entry dimension table.

I have populated it retroactively for several years worth of transactions.

Thanks a lot for the help! It is much appreciated :slight_smile: