Part Invoicing for a job

Hi, I am a new user to Navision and am getting a feel for the job costing area of the system. Our company works on quite large projects in which our contractual arrangements mean that we progress invoice our client on a monthly basis until the job is complete. Some projects can last up to 10 months (ie meaning up to 10 invoices provided to the client). My question is: in the “Calculate Job WIP Value” function, does the system allow you to pick up part of the overall costs on the job that relate to the invoice you have provided the client. That way the cost of sales in the general ledger will be relative to the sales invoice that has been posted. This is important when reporting on a regular basis (say monthly). Can somenone please point me on the right track…

Basically yes, explaining it in detail would take time, but the easiest way (and the way I learnt) was to set a up a clean database, and craete one individual GL account for each job postin account, and try scenarios. Eventually it will click, and you will see that its straight forward. Basically though it wll move costs back to the Balance sheet if they have not been invoiced. I don’t think you can’t set it up the other way, i.e. to post Job costs as sales are posted, (though maybe someone knows how). Please keep in mind that Jobs were never finished in Navision. A decision was made (somewhere around ver 2.00) that jobs would be completely rewritten, something like the 2.6 CRm vs 3.10 CRM to make it more integrated, but that just never happened.