Job Costs and the question no-one will answer(?)

Hello, I have been searching in vain for confirmation of whether or not the the Jobs module is “fully” integrated to navision inventory, has anyone added this further integration and is it a big job? There are two public requests posted on the issue of the costs of a usage entry not being updated when you run the adjust cost on item entries, that have been “in-progress” since november 2002. Also Soya posted an entry on this subject to this forum on the same subject, but alas she got no replies. I realise that the other side of the usage entry i.e. the negative stock movement (which has the job number stamped on it) is adjusted, but this does not do much for the job statistics! The manual recommends that if you are purchasing items for a job, that you use a purchase invoice (or atleast recieve and invoice at the same time), the assumption being that you know the cost of the items at the time of receipt and the so the usage ledger entry is created with the correct cost. Is this just an unrealistic work around? I would like to recieve the items for the job and have a job ledger entry created, the standard system seems to only create a purchase receipt and nothing else when recieve items on a purchase order using a job number, then be able to invoice later is this asking to much? Is the thinking that costs should not vary so greatly that they have a significant impact on job costing and if you want that then develop it yourself? I await your opinions with interest!!!

Hi! You can see the following on servicesystem: It is correct that the WIP may be ‘wrong’ compared with COGS, but the entries on the WIP account will be balanced out exactly when the Job is Recognised. And remember, the WIP account also contains costs of Resources posted as Usage through the Job Journal, these costs may be different from the actual costs that are posted through the Payroll system (i.e. if you are using the Indirect Cost % field on the Resource card). It’s great! Isn’t it? Soya

Hi Soya, Maybe we are the only two that are using the Jobs ‘features’ of Navision and these issues don’t therefore affect anyone else[;)]!! I’m glad you mentioned the fact that the job recognition ‘balances’ the WIP, cos I was thinking of changing the usage cost when the adjust cost item entries job was run, and this would have led to problems if I changed the cost on the usage entry between the posting of the WIP and the recog.! I would just like to see the job statistics reflect the true cost of the usage, but I can’t see any simple way to acheive this. Regards Jon

Hello again Soya! I am making this look like an interesting thread all by myself! But I have now found the service system thread GB-723-98-SKG8, I don’t know why my search dind’t pick it up earlier. The point made seems to be that just like a posted sales invoice the statistics are not updated, and that he balance on the WIP accounts is only an approximation and that seems to be acceptable as far as navision are concerned(?). Maybe one day!

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Mcarthur
Hi Soya, I was thinking of changing the usage cost when the adjust cost item entries job was run, and this would have led to problems if I changed the cost on the usage entry between the posting of the WIP and the recog.

Actually it’s no problem to change the cost after You have posted the WIP. The difference between the old cost and the new will be posted the next time You run WIP. Just change the cost on a WIP-posted entry in a Cronus database and post the WIP again and You’ll see. I have a customer running 1.20 where we integrated job and inventory costing. We store the item ledger entry no on the job ledger entry and a boolean field “Adjusted”. After the normal batch for inventory adjustment, we run a batch over not adjusted job ledger entries to see if the corresponding item ledger entry has been adjusted. If so we adjust the cost on the job ledger entry and mark it as adjusted. We did the same thing with posted invoice lines and customer ledger entry, so at least for items, it’s all true costs in all places. Hope it was clear enough and gave You some ideas. Best regards //Lars

Hi Lars, That’s excellent - just the kind of thing I wanted to hear, thanks very much for your advice! Best Regards Jon

And it’s a very well designed solution. Nice work Lars!

quote:

Originally posted by daves
And it’s a very well designed solution. Nice work Lars!

Hi Lars, why don’t you put it to the service system as a new suggestion?[:)] However, we have the same problem with boms. Amounts of created bom items should be recalculated too… Greetings Soya