Navision 4.00 and more updates from Tech 2003

As mentioned in yesterdays update, then Navision 4.00 is on the way. But did anyone expect something else? They are always working on the next release. But yesterday afternoon Patrick Paludan-Mueller and Jens-Ole Taisbaek gave a presentation on the new opportunities with Navision. A lot of updates on the current Navision 3.70 version, including the new Standard (aka Small Business) version. But also a good part on the future of the product. As mentioned yesterday they will include a new user interface, but actually it didn’t look that much new anyway. What we saw was not as much a new UI - to me it more looked like a minor update. Basically it was a new main menu. Again would some of you say! But this time they really did something new. The menu will in the future be similar to the one of Outlook 2003. Those of you who don’t know this version, take a look! The menu will be user modifiable and the user can make their own menu of commonly used items. AND the menu will not be hidden if the user uses maximized forms! Something they said approx. 80% of all users do! New was also better integration to other Microsoft products, a new migration tool that should be able to minimize the implementation time even more. They are working on many enhancements and improvements to both the Commerce Portal and the User Portal. From a developers point of view one of the biggest news will be the XMLPorts. This new object type is made especially to handle import and export of XML documents. Everyone who have tried to work with this in Navision today know that this is NOT an easy task and that it requires much custom programming to handle each new document properly. The XMLPorts was orginally scheduled to have become part of 3.70 but at some point Microsoft took it out and back into development. So I just cross my fingers that it will be there for version 4.00. The last thing that excited me about the news was a new ODBC driver that would also work with SQL databases and that would support Navision’s special field types (Flowfields etc.). Microsoft Business Solutions currently expect to release the world wide version of Navision 4.00 in July 2004. As a last remark. Many people was asking about interfaces between Navision and Microsoft CRM. We were told that we would see this in two years from now. Primary because they are rewriting Microsoft CRM, so the interfaces would be all different.

Are we going to get a VB/VB.net option in 4.0??

In new releases i would suggest the functionality should be enhanced. In axapta we need to introduce functionality to take care of process manufacturing as the axapta is the only 'real’solution in the microsoft family for production environment Best Regards, Anuj

quote:

Originally posted by agarwalanuj
In new releases i would suggest the functionality should be enhanced. In axapta we need to introduce functionality to take care of process manufacturing as the axapta is the only 'real’solution in the microsoft family for production environment Best Regards, Anuj

[8)]

I can not totally agree with you on this one. We implemented the MBS Navision production modules in 3.60 for some customers to their satisfaction. As in all Navision modules, there are points for improvement but the whole package is more than adequate…

quote:

Originally posted by chubby10
Are we going to get a VB/VB.net option in 4.0??

No. But there will be this option in Project Green.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Willemse
I can not totally agree with you on this one. We implemented the MBS Navision production modules in 3.60 for some customers to their satisfaction. As in all Navision modules, there are points for improvement but the whole package is more than adequate…

Peter, Anuj was talking about Axapta. You’re talking Navision.

For all of those out there that make a livin out of Navision, yet just seem to want to bash it all the time, … one of the interesting things we saw was a quick demo of some of the awsome new Great Plains Ver 8.0. The mindboggling new tech feature, was a new “list form” where you could see all your clients in an Excel like form. Not only that, but you could (with the click of just couple of buttons) see all the invoices and payments attached to that customer, or even look at sales trends based on monthly sales. After that it got to be so incredible that I couldn’t keep up. Hmm now where have I seen that before? Was it in Navision Financial ver 0.9 back in 1995? Believe me, we are still way ahead of the game. Even Axapta may have some nice Techno Geek features that we may dream of, but when it comes to real world mid market implementations, Navision wins hands down. Point is, we have a great product, we now have a masive machine behind us, so lets stop griping about stupid little things, and get on with making moneny.

Well, It sound to me that the upgrade is only for cosmetic. If do so, not much use for us in my country. Actually I do hope that Navision make significant changes, like enhancement in planning for manufacturing or design some approval tool for the transaction. I’m very sick with this approval. cause Navision only provide permission and role which far-far away to fulfill my local customer need. Or this upgrade only for cooling down the people in HQ before they disappear in Green?

So Benny, do you have any connection to Yusuf Mukadam? I ask because I notice that on one side we have an Indonesian NSC saying how they beat out SAP in the Sales Process, and then another complaining that Navision does not have SAP like features, could it be that someone sold off more than they could chew, or is it just a coincidence?

Hey Benny, check out Lanham and Associates field level security add-on. Pretty slick, self-generates code and even hides fields by user id. www.lanhamassoc.com

Does anybody know, is Navision 4.0 still running on iSeries in the PASE ? Or, please, advice me where can I get this information?

Hi Viv, Navision 4.0 does not exist.

Hi Viv, Navision 4.0 does not exist.

Hi All, A small question about the 4.00 release that is coming out, I thought I read somewhere that it is only going to come out on a SQL Database, can anyone confirm that? /Sven

According above news I belive that MBS developers already have it in beta version. The question about PASE is very important for me. Our company have choice between Navision and Hansa now, because both run on IBM iSeries and have about same price. One of argument of Hansa adherents is that Navision run in PASE, so it is emulation and so this is not good in compare with Hansa Financials. If Navision 4.0 will run not in PASE, but in native OS/400 environment, it will help me to beat Hansa.

HI Viv, propbably you didn’t read my earlier message, so … VERSION 4.00 DOES NOT EXIST. DON’T SELL IT.

Just looking forward to get my hands on the beta-version. Who can help? ;-)) Best regards from sunny Warsaw! [8D]

Hi guys, Two questions: 1. What is PASE? 2. What is this about Navision 4.00 being released only on SQL db? Cristi

Don’t know about PASE, but I do got confirmation from an MBS insider that Native db will continue in the future (as long as that may be…), because they can’t (and want to) force customers to use SQL. Only think of all those upgrades out there, for which much customisation has been realised… However, we can see now already that the integration of Navision and SQL is becoming better and better, f.e. think of the session killer on SQL and not on native, etc. Microsoft want’s us to sell SQL, but is not going to force is in the near future.