Navision 4.00 and more updates from Tech 2003

Wow. How misinformation spreads and flies off at tangents! 1. I won’t repeat what David said… 2. There is currently no Beta of 4.0 available, nor will there be until next year, 3. 4.0 will continue as both the SQL and Navision Database Server (Native) versions, as today, 4. iSeries and AIX support will continue, as today - iSeries still via PASE. That’s my (mis?)information.

Today, we have a great project on the road. Our NSC call us to prevent from planning this project in 2004. He said that all the works we do could have to be completly done again in a near future because of the .NET framework. Have you heard about that ? Regards,

could you define near future. Thanks Nuno

Hi lessi, I don’t know about the Navision specific issues of .NET, but I visited a Microsoft .NET roadshow some time ago. When I asked about upgrading applications from VB6 to VB.NET, the guy giving the talk told me that this was “entirely different” and that the effort of upgrading was about the same as “writing the application anew”. Now, if Microsoft’s very own VB made such a leap - can you imagine what will happen to C/AL? [:0]

Yes, there is a Navision 4.0 underway and this is going to be the last major release before P Green. Similar with Axapta 4.0. Both launched mid 2004 till Q4 2004. Expect Green - the big homogenizer Q2 2005 till Q1 2006. Green is full .NET e.g. C# and VB.net. Old C/AL, X++ code is nice to have, but has to be converted. So write your real heavy stuff in something else than soon proprietary programming languages. As with Pervasive and C-tree under the US products, expect the patience of Microsoft to break, latest mid 2005. Your new database will be MSDE2000 equivalent of nextgen Yukon for low end and the big one for others. Oracle under Axapta, Navision on AS/400. Forgetit. Go Hansa on AS/400. Process manufacturing?? There is a myriad of manufacturing software and very few (exotic) do good process manufacturing. It takes some time to get even to a decent manufacturing software not to talk about process manufacturing. Trying to be good in retail, field service, crm, PSA (you name it) at the same time is not the same as being good in word processing, spreadsheets and presentations. Remember, MS is not in charity business, nor in a (huge loss making) business solutions business. It is 60% of Office and 40% of servers and going to be 40% of platform and 60% of entertainment&mobile. Who cares about the quirky business solutions consultancies? You care, you earn the money to BG.

VIV, My understanding is that Navision (Pase) environment has been or will be withdrawn from the market… We looked at running Navision on the AS400 but dropped that quickly (1 year ago)… Navision doesn’t require the horsepower and costs of maintaining the AS400… Robert “Intel Inside” and “Microsoft” PS. I am AS400/S38 person from way back… 12+ years… Remember it’s not where the software runs (Platform) it’s does your business run…

The near future for our project is to begin the development in January 2004. The cost of the development (without license) is about 75000 €. So what to do, what to plan ? Thanks,

This is MBS’s current plans: 1. MBS Navision 4.0 is released in Q4 2004 - That is in 1 Year 2. Besides that they have planned at least 2 more versions of Navision 3. MBS Has issued guarantee that the product is supported AT LEAST until 2013 Regarding project green (.NET-based) 1. Is in progress 2. Business Framework is released Q4 2004 - after that they will start developing the business logic 3. First release will be a replacement for the current C5 - that means General Ledger. I beleive i heard 2006 for this) As you may realize by now it will tahe years until “project green” is a serious competitor for the existing solutions. And by then i’m sure they’ve started some new project…

As far as project Green…don’t expect Green to replace all of the functionality in Navision (or GP or Axapta for that matter) until the 2008/2009/2010 time frame. Sure, there will be initial releases in 2006, but as has been stated, this will be primarily GL/AP/AR not full ERP. Expect another 1-2 years development for ERP functional development, and then another 1-2 years for it to “settle down” – would you want v1.0 of a full ERP product? So, I think we can expect a Navision v5.0 in 2005, a Navision v6.0 in 2006, and probably another major version or 2 between 2007 and 2012. - Dave Hutchinson

Suppose MS has still serious plans with ERP and tries to incorporate it to its core business strategy of creating a platform provider fix. Then we should expect that 4.0-s work on 2003 servers and up only? Axapta on MS SQL only? Otherwise it is not quite understandable why keep 4 times the development cost (Great Plains, Solomon, Axapta, Navision + SBM) up and running. Rinse out some platform knowledge and spin off to SAP? :))) With GL/AP/AR in 2006, you should expect core logistics in 2007. This is not the first time to this company to put 1.0b to the market. This is not ERP business anymore fellas. Some things have changed - C# is Java on testosterones and a superb language compared even to X++. What a pity that IBM bought Rational, but hopefully the MBF team has not dropped using this wonderful kit! Productivity. Porting Axapta? By 2010? With 5 billion+ USD in R&D budget? Do not think in terms of love towards N or A. Act earning money as MS does and this has nothing to do with smooth transitions or care about partners, customers, you.

Just to (once more) remark on what ms actually said at tech 2003. 1/ it will be at least 4-5 years before green will have enough functionality to replace navision. 2/ navision will be a fully supported, developed and upgraded prouct at least until 2012. at the current rate of one version per year, … do the math. 3/ version 4.oo will have a new menu, some intercompany impovememts, and a new xml object type. 3/ c/side database and language will continue. 5/ green is a totally new product written in visual studio, there may be upgrade paths for data conversions as an nsc you have two options. Stop selling for 4 years, and wait, or continue selling the excelent prouct that we have, and address green when it is reality.