NAV 3.60 and SQL Server 2000

Hello all, we experienced problems a number of times with stability of report processing large amount of data. Usually it is a silent breakup of client application or some SQL messages about Navision incorrect behavior. I cann’t quote them now - it’s too long to wait… What of server hardware parameters is better to upgrade? Or is it enough to change some parameters of SQL Server 2000? Currently we deal with the implementation of Navision Attain 3.60 for SQL. Thank you in advance, Anthony

Hello all again, i have a sense i should detalise my question. Firstly it was really huge amount of data processed in those cases. The total volume of data increment nearly 400 MB (10%). G/L Correspondence was populated with records successfully but using a couple of client computers. I don’t think that tis a customer implementation problem, but rather it should be some pecularity of nav work with virtual memory and/or SQL server. Can it be related to the volume of RAM memory on SQL server? In any way, thank you in advance, Anthony

Hi, am rushing to go see one of my SQL Clients :slight_smile: But check the following: 1. The Size of the Primary and Secondary data files, and log file should be such that the log file is at least 50% of the sum of the data files in sql (from Navision, file, Database, Alter…) 2. The File growth should be able to meet your transaction creation rate. Basically, the log is what grows mainly but there should also be space on the hard disk. Check that physically. 3. You should take an SQL backup, as it will automatically truncate the log file (delete redundant data) so you dont rely only on growth. For there will be some more free space in the file itself. 4. Make sure you have applied the latest hotfixes to the database and Exes. There have been some identified as critical. Hope this helps you, Regards Robert

OK, many thanks Robert. We’ll check these possible sources of our problem and i’ll relate them soon.

Generally all right. It should be a interaction problem between C/SIDE and SQL.

Don’t you think the error message you mentioned at the begining will provide some indication of the problem?

It wasn’t appeared in all cases. I hope to meet this message on monitor at work tomorrow. Best regards, Anthony

Without success… Thank you.

Hi, This is a part from the change in HotFix 17 Crash During Long Running Batches Error Navision Attain crashed during long running batch jobs. This was caused by an occasional internal object cleanup combined with certain performance optimizations. This only applies to the SQL Server Option. This has been corrected. So if you install that you should be OK I would think Cristi Nicola

Thank you for your very interesting information. Possibly tis what we need. Where can i found this file for download or other purchase? Is it universal patch for system Nav 3.60 or some customized version? I’ve found just one site in german domen - “http://www.kumavision.net/support/downloads.jsp”. It is in german and doesn’t contain mentioned hotfix. Or is it better to purchase this patch through our system customiser? What is the way preferential? Excuse me for a number of questions. Best regards.

OK. All looks great, worked smoothly and seems correct. Thank you very much for your input Cristi. It was really usefull advice. Is it possible to predict errors in data caused by work of versions without fixed bugs? P.S. We’ve purchased this hotfix from our NSC. They obtained it from Microsoft. Best regards Anthony

Hi Anthony, Any hotfix, improvement or service pack contains information about possible data problems caused by the bugs they are fixing. Normally the ones having that are the improvements or service packs since they are connected with the Navision code and not executables. So you need to look at the description for each … Now I will make a comment that might get me in trouble … I know you are from Russia and things work a little different there [;)] As far as I know all bug fixes (in executables or Navision code) are free of charge (the actual files). I guess depending on your contract the actual work involved in installing the bug fix may or may not be billable. But for a hotfix which requires only changing executables you should not be charged … At least this is the practice in my company here in US… Regards, Cristi Nicola

Hi Cristi, hotfix will be copied by system administrator. I’m just tested it. Kindly regards, Anthony