Module/Add-on registration with MS price

Good day,

What is the price to register own module, what are requirements?

Thank You for Information in advance.

Br,

Gosha

Do you mean like “registering an Add-On”

Yepp:)

Btw, Your surname Singleton is like OOP Pattern:) Real developer surname:)

Sorry, I had this open, and red the post, but didn’t take a lot of notie of the Tittle I am so used to people writing wrong titles, that I often just ignore them. Clearly you asked to register an add-on [:$]

Well the biggest problem is that probably by the time you read this reply, and start registration, the process will probably have changed three times. I think that over the years, the process for registering an add-on has probably changed more often than everything.

At the toughest point I remember, Add-Ons could only be registered by companies that did nothing else but add-ons, they had to sell them only though Navision to NSCs, the conditions involved a very strict registration process, that was so strict, that using the wrong font to in a chapter heading for the user guide would fail the add-on.Registration process took about 12 months. And virtually every NISH or NDP closed its doors because the costs were horrendous. At one stage it dropped to the point where you called Navision, told them what you wanted to do, and they allocated object numbers.

I think that since Microsoft have taken over, sanity has come to the party, and the process is definitely much bettter than it was, and most importantly it seems to be stabilizing.

I think that at the moment the best path to go if you just have one Add-On that you want to register, then the MSDN path seems to be the best. You basically subscribe to MSDN, and form there you can apply to register your Add-On.

With Navision technology heading where it is now, I believe that every Navision developer that wants to go beyond C/SIDE needs to get MSDN anyway, so the investment is worth while in any case.

Singleton actually means a child born on their own, i.e. not a twin, triplet etc. so in fact nearly all of us are in fact Singletons [H] according to our family though, ‘ton’ was an old English version of Town, and our family came either from a town called Single, or from a region with only one town.

But yes, if you search on the internet now, Singleton now refers to a uniquely reference-able object. I guess something like a single instance code unit, but not quite. Either way, it has moved me way off the front page of Google [:(]

Nice:)

As a registered add-on it’s more secure for developer in a license way I think. And number range:/

Need to think about how to and do I need it:)

Btw, thank You for this community site.

I think step one is to work out why you would want the module as an official add-on:

If you would like to sell it to a hand full of your exisiting customer (say 5 or less), and you think you will save them some money on payign for Navision onjects, then don’t go for an Add-On. At first it looks like a cheap way to buy objects, but really its not.

If you have already sold a module to a hand full of your clients, and see now that it could be usefull to many more Navision users then an Add-On is ideal

If you have a vertical solution, and have a hand full of clients, and now find that it is becoming difficult to manage the separated code and object numbers, then ideal is to bundle all the pieces of Vertical specific code into a one major Add-On, and then a lot of small sub Add-On’s and then group them together as a part of your vertical solution.

If you are an end user, and you have a bundle of code that you think will be useful to lots of other users, then think very carefully about it. As much as clients think that they are an industry standard, one of the driving points to selecting Navision is so they can implement their custom solution. Its quite true that NSCs often see them selves writing the same reports and small pieces of code over and again, and very successfully convert this code into Add-Ons, but it needs to be done from the perspective of multiple customers in different industries, and seeing what makes business sense.

If you can let me know what is the driving reason for you thinking about Add-Ons in this case, then I can maybe give more insight.

PS I should mention that for a few years, my company was a NISH, and all we did was develop Add-Ons.

David, you mentioned earlier that the registrations process changed quite frequently.

I remember a project in 2000 which resulted in a successfull Add-On. That time it was still Navision A/S, not MS. A new founded company agreed to the NISH contracts and “took over” the solution developed by our NSC. And we got “our” Add-On. Two clients (already Navision users) were interested in that"Add-On". However, the German NTR was NOT able (or better, the do not wanted) to add that Add-On to the customer license as there was a similar, but of course not same solution in the German market. Reson given for that: Add-On was only registered for SE-Asia (which in fact was never ever written in ANY of our contracts). So, be aware!

Yes I remember that rule. What a mess. Microsoft are more interested in getting happy customers out there (you know the happy custoemrs that buy more software [;)] ) so now they do not tell you that you can’t register an add-on just because someone else already has one. That same situation caused a major headache with Sales Tax in the US, where one company had an official Sales Tax Add-On, but had decided not to continue supporting it, BUT Navision would not register another Sales Tax Add-On since there was one out there.

Microsoft definitely have a better idea of how to manage the business of selling Add-Ons than PC&C ever did.