Issues with copying contact lists to the new company

Our Navision system (2009 Classic client version/business essentials) has got a few companies set up with a head office company and a few subsidiary companies in different locations. We have got the license for develop environment . (attached our license information)

Due to recent structural change, we want to create a new company in the system , which will merge the structure and set up information of both head office and its subsidiaries with no transaction data. I tried to create a new company and run Setup Checklist (i.e., Administration->General Setup->Setup Checklist then go to Function->Copy Data) and successfully copied the majorities of common information. However , I came across the following issues:

1. I cannot copy the contact table from none of existing company: In each of the existing company , there is a contact list with over 10K of local contacts information. Some of them are duplicated , i.e. , a few contacts linked to single customer. And because of this reason , Navision returned an error message when I tried to copy over the contact table as " Contact #### doesn’t exist". ( it definitely exist but the real problem behind it is the duplication as I can see . I have tried to delete the duplicated contact but couldn’t find the way to do it.

2. Again with the contact list, as all subsidiary have got own contact list in their regions and all the contact ID are numbered as CT + numbers , most of contact numbers in different regions are exactly same. Apparently, I cannot merge the same contact number in one company even if above problem solved. I want to find a way to export the contact list and add its region name as a suffix to the ID, such as " AK CT100100" or " HM CT 100100" to differentiate the region. However, using the setup check list, I can only copy one company’s information. I even tried to export the table information and then import to the new testing company but the system doesn’t allow me to do that with an error message as a conflict version.

I have been researching on line for two days but cannot find any clue. It will be really appreciated if any one can help me with these issues.

Michael Zhou

Michael

Given you are using Nav 2009 Classic and you need to clean / change the data you have a couple of choices re how to achieve your aim. The first and easiest to use is the Data Migration tool in Admin, Admin Module. This allows you to export data into excel which you can then amend / apply rules from excel and then reimport into your new company. If this does not fit your needs, I would suggest using a Dataport. You can use the same dataport to export and import and therefore load in exported data into excel and apply your rules in excel before uploading into your new company.
Dataports are not intelligent so are not as good as data migration but sometimes there is a need (rare I know) to not validate data pre load.
Hope this helps.

Neil

Dear Neil,

Thank you for your helps and sorry for my late response.

I have searched all menus in Admin module of our Navision system but could not find the data Migration tool that you are referring to. Is it a tool kit that I need to download and install ? Our Navision is business essential version and is it too simple to have this functionality?

Thank you

Michael

Michael

Please see screen shot below. This is the location of this functionality in Nav 2009 Classic. So if you cannot see this is a licence issue.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I finally found this funtionality with your helps. I couldn’t find it previously as it was not in the Navigation Pane.

Much appreciated for your helps.

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Happy that you found the solution! :slight_smile:

Please also mark the other replies that helped you with “This helped me” - this way other members will be able to find the answer, if they have the same problem. (plus Neil gets awarded member points [;)] )…

Hi Erik,

Thank you for suggesting me. I have done that.

Michael

Hi Neil,

I have got a new problem now. When I am exporting the contact table from the existing company, it comes up an error message as" this message is for C/Al programmers: The call to member Xm/maps failed. Microsoft office Excel returned the following message: this method or property is available only in MS office 2003 professional"

Is it because we don’t have office 2003 professional installed on our server. We do use office 2003 but It is only standard edition. Is there anyway to go around it?

Thank you.

Michael

Hi Michael,

In general, if a new problem is not related to your first question, then always create a new question. [:)]

But in your case search would have given the answer:

[View:~/nav/f/113/t/25782:320:50]

So yes, you do need the professional version to use that functionality.

Thank You Erik.