Is there any concept of master company in Navision?

I have a customer with 3 companies in one database, and it is required to create a master company to control all of them. I don’t know yet how customer wants to control or whatever, but is there any concept like this in Navision?

Hi Imran,

No NAV does not have the concept of a Master Company.

I’ve made similar modification for a customer who had 30 companies. In GLSetup A new boolean called Master company, and could only be checked for one company.

Then Master tables with certain fields could only be modified by master company.

The data was replicated to all other 30 companies.

We made a similar thing both in my previous company and in my current. But it’s not STANDARD!

Otherwise my basic answer to all questions in the matter “Is this possible in Navision?” would always be “Yes it is possible!”. And that would be my answer even if you asked if Navision could make coffee! [;)]

I already had that question! [:D]

BTW : I answered YES.[C]

Me too! It wasn’t until the customer asked “How much?” that he lost interests!

Sounds familiar!

Rashed and Erik,

Could you please tell me some scenario how customer wanted to control?. Like some simple example would do good. I would appreciate.

FINALLY, can someone please give me the coding for espresso, is it on a separate codeunit? Capuccino would be nice, but lets leave the milk out of this for the time being, start with the basics!!

I’m not quite sure what you ask, but in my previous company we had a master chart of account, as well as master items, and using an xml functionality we updated the items from the master company. The chart of account was only updated upon creation, but with locks so that the local companies could not delete any of the global accounts. THe same setup was used for items. With global items, then could only change selected fields, whereas others was always updated from corporate.

Erik,

Humour!

Reference to Nav making Coffee!!

Andrew

Erik

Your reply answers my question

thanks.

What u said answers my question. But, i want to explain you want the customer wants. There are three companies in the Navision database. Let us take example of Items here. Three different companies may have same Items but with different codes and probably locations too. Same case is with customers and vendors. Same customer and vendor exists in all companies , with different codes.

What my customer wants is to create a master company. From here he would be able to create ,for example, a sales order of a customer of some company and use Items of other company. I think this case would be impossible.

So what do you suggest? To what extend master company can control other companies? So that i can tell to my customer, what is possible and what is not?

In your case what kind of information for global items changed in child companies and what should only be changed from master?

Please help me out, i would really appreciate that.

Thanks.

No body answered???

@IMRAN

things would be “easier” if the items, customers, etc. would all have the same primary code in every company. I would say, this should be achieved at any rate (may be data can be renamed, etc.), because otherwise you would have to implement something like a “Company Name” - field in every table where items, customers, etc. are referred to. Another problem with “global” data is that all fields having table relations in the “global” tables, for example “Shipment Method Code”, “Payment Terms Code”, etc. should be equal in every company, as well. If this “global equalness” is achieved once, it is nearly straightforward to make the “global” tables themselves “global”, i.e., changing the property DataPerCompany to ‘No’, thereby a master company becomes obsolete. Nevertheless it should be clearly defined who (or which company) has the rights to change/create/delete these global tables… - but be aware that when making a table “global” you have to implement some additional code, for example when deleting an item, it should be checked in all companies that there are no sales orders, inventory quantities, etc. - another perhaps more severe problem is, that there may be certain fields which may suffer from “globalness”, for example “Last Direct Cost” in item table, or may be some item is normaly purchased in one company while it is produced in the other company, etc…

By the way, I remember, long times ago, I implemented something like a “coffe-making-Navision”, but there was of course an I/O-card needed to control the coffee-machine. This pc-card was easily plugged into the application server machine which was standing near by the coffee machine. Some additional tables and codeunits where easily programmed and every navision user could order his cappuchino or espresso or whatever he wants at a certain time (server time), thereby the employee-waiting-for-coffee-times could be significantly reduced… - unfortunately we had to apply a kind of assembly line, too, in order to deliver the empty cups and take away the full ones, which made the solution more expensive than originally planned… (but I think that is quite normal, isn’t it? :wink: