Installing ax 2012 in local computer

Hi all,

It is possible to install dynamics ax in local compute for just learning purpose…

can u give me the guide line to install the both Clint and server software…

Thanks

You’ll always find system requirements in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 System Requirements document.

The biggest obstacle usually is the requirement for Active Directory authentication.

Note that it’s possible to download a Demo VM and run it through Hyper-V on client OS, which you’ll help you to avoid issues with AD, the lack of server OS etc. But you need a relatively powerful computer, especially enough RAM.

How much RAM it require??

Do you mean the VM? I don’t remember official requirements - you’ll find it in the requirements document for the VM.
I would personally use something like 16 GB.

I have a trial virtual machine of AX 2012 R2 running in VW workstation 11. It always consumes 80% RAM. My laptop only has 8 GB ram. So I am going to upgrade to 16 GB.

And, it’s highly desired to use SSD for hard drive, otherwise it’s too slow. And think about register the VHD as boot option using bcdedit command so that you don’t have to use VMWare, to enhance performance as well.

Martin’s right - if you’re going to use the VM as is, it’ll take a lot of memory. It has IIS, SQL, Analysis services, and a number of other services running.

Personally, my Hyper-V VM of AX 2012 runs on my laptop. I have 16GB of memory, and I assign 8GB to the VM. What I do, though, is stop a bunch of the services so the image runs fast. I usually stop IIS, all the retail service, and a couple of other things to make it run well.

-Jake

Martin/Jake, do you know why MS stopped providing RAR files for AX 2012 R3 after CU9? I want to assemble VHD for CU10 / CU11/CU12, but couldn’t find a downloadable resource. LCS/Azure are too expensive to use, and VPN can prevent access to the deployed instances, anyway… I prefer local though, as we need to do experiments. How does MS think about us developers, can we let them know that they should still provide AX 2012 VHDs, they are definitely wanted…

RAR is just a type of archive; what files do you mean? A demonstration with a specific CU preinstalled? If you have a VM with CU9 and you need CU11, you can simply upgrade to CU11.
If you need some with VPN, you’ll have to explain your problem (although this probably isn’t the right forum for it).
Note that these VMs are intended for demonstration; I suspect their license don’t allow development. (More precisely, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t allowed before, but I haven’t checked it recently.)

Hi Martin, I agree, I am not using it for dev, mainly for feature comparison and idea trial out, as it’s pure MS code without 3rd party intervention. And you are right, the license doesn’t allow development. The reason I don’t want to upgrade is the Windows OS expires on CU9 vhd and cannot be re-armed after 3 times. So, having a new MS released VHD is going to help us learn. Espcially CU12 has Machine learning intergration, I am curious and want to learn, but no VHD on hand.

I don’t remember if the split files are provided in RAR or Zip format, basically, we have to download all 20+ files and assemble them to get the VHD… like what MS is doing for AX 7 VHDs, we can download the split out files to assemble VHD…

Aha, so your problem is about a Windows Server license, not AX, right?

If you have a Windows Server license (maybe from your MSDN subscription), change the edition from Evaluation to the
normal retail version and activate it.

If you don’t have a license, what if you drop your current VM and create a new one? Won’t it reset the evaluation period?

I got you, Martin. Thank you for the advice