importing different language data

I couldn’t import different language ( in my case greek) data into navision table. I tried both .csv and .txt file. OS is WinXP. Windows Language is set to Greek. I typed greek letters in a file and tried importing. But some funny characters turned up… Irony is that when I tried to export greek letters (from navision) and import back the same file to same table… It worked fine. But the characters in file to which I exported showed some other characters… Can anybody help me with this situatiion… I would be grateful Thanx for ur time

Rajesh, it is important to differentiate between the “translate - import/export” files which are plain txt files that follow a certain structure and the Language Module files, these are binary format files that you cannot edit manually. They can only be generated by the Navision client itself. try having a look at the Navision Localization Workbench that helps to translate all the captions of the application. Saludos Nils

… or perhaps you’re just experiencing the old ANSI/ASCII problem…

Hi, Nils, I think he is talking about the actual data in the tables. I believe SV’s guess on the ANSI/ASCII must be correct. Or maybe the data is even in Unicode? When I was working in Greece, I had to prepare a mechanism to regularly import large amounts of data. The solution I used was to import the data directly from an Excel file using C/SIDE as an Automation controller. Since then I have used this basic idea a few more times. Maybe this is also an option for you?

… classical, complete misunderstanding [;)] Thanks for the hint, in this case, sv must be right… Saludos Nils

Try to Import Dos character text file. This works fine. You can convert an ansi character set file to dos format from microsoft word “save as dos text file”.