Establish an odbc connection between nav and sql

Hello I am Vittorio. URGENT…please help!!! Here is my problem. I have a navision 2.60 F DB on the A server and sql srv 2000 on the B server. My goal is to establish an odbc connection between the 2 servers to transfer data from navision table to a sql table. Well as I understand I should first create on A server a DSN for nav access using odbc and I did it…OK. Then I shoul go to servr B and create a linked server on sql…right?? Well if so after entering the values for the linked server I received the following error: Error 7399: The provider OLE DB ‘MSDASQL’ has signaled an error: Data Source name not found and no default driver I need help on resolving this issue because I dont understand where I am mistaking, the following are the values that I entered: server name: server A name provider name: ms ole db provider for odbc drivers product name: navision data source name: IP address of the A server …is it right?? or do I have to enter the DSN name created on the A server?? NOTE: That I didn’t set anything on the security TAB and on the server option TAB…if there is something to set on them please give me help on them,maybe I was wrong here… THX very much…

Hello I am still Vittorio… If this is not the right group to post may someone tell me to which group should I post it…thank you

Hi Vittorio! Be patient - it’s not precisely the right forum, but you’ll find some support, as well [8D] Just to repeat your problem - I’m not sure if I clearly understood: Server A, NAV 2.60, native db Server B, SQL Server 2000 Server B should “look” into NAV db on Server A Right? You have to install Navision’s C/ODBC (not normal MS ODBC) on Server B and configure it to access Server A. Then create the linked server on Server B. Remark: Basically this should work, but this old C/ODBC stuff has its limitations … I recommend, if possible, to upgrade - technical - to 4.00 SP2 and use the new N/ODBC instead. Hope that helps a little.

Hello stryk…thank you for your response, On your question "Server A, NAV 2.60, native db Server B, SQL Server 2000 Server B should “look” into NAV db on Server A "…yes that is right server B has to read info from native nav 2.6 server db… Then concerning to “You have to install Navision’s C/ODBC (not normal MS ODBC) on Server B and configure it to access Server A. Then create the linked server on Server B.”…so that is what I did wrong till now…I didn’t configure on server B (sql srv) C/ODBC to access A…I’ll try and see what happens…so on server A I don’t have to configure C/ODBC??? “Remark: Basically this should work, but this old C/ODBC stuff has its limitations … I recommend, if possible, to upgrade - technical - to 4.00 SP2 and use the new N/ODBC instead.”…Can I use N/ODBC even if navision is a 2.6 version??..sure?? Thank you again stryk

Hello Stryk I trie to configure odbc on server B and concerning to your response: “You have to install Navision’s C/ODBC (not normal MS ODBC) on Server B and configure it to access Server A. Then create the linked server on Server B.” I have huge issues: On server B I don’t have navision (there is only sql) so how can I configure the program folder using browser if using C/ODBC I see only the local discs?? Furthermore if I chose the server connection (and not the local one) and I insert the IP address of server A in Server name, net type tcp, the database button remains always disabled…so I can not insert no db and no company name…Now I dont know if I use N/ODBC vers 4 I’ll have the possibilty to browse to the remote macchine…?? please help…thanks alot…

quote:

so on server A I don’t have to configure C/ODBC???

No. If I don’t err, you only have to install C/ODBC on the machine which wants to access the NAV server … but to be sure, please refer to the “C/ODBC Guide” on NAV CD-ROM

quote:

Can I use N/ODBC even if navision is a 2.6 version??..sure??

Well, at least, you have to upgrade the server and client programs to NAV 4.00 SP2; you should still be able to use the old objects … to be tested …

quote:

On server B I don’t have navision (there is only sql) so how can I configure the program folder using browser if using C/ODBC I see only the local discs?? Furthermore if I chose the server connection (and not the local one) and I insert the IP address of server A in Server name, net type tcp, the database button remains always disabled…so I can not insert no db and no company name…

Basically, this sound quite OK. I don’t think that NAV is required on Server B, but if some trouble occurs, maybe you could install a NAV client?! You should configure C/ODBC to connect to your server using IP/Name, Nettype, etc… After inserting a valid login account you should be able to select the “Company Name” via button, the “Database Name” button remains disabled, you don’t need it … But as mentioned: The old C/ODBC stuff is very “buggy” when using with SQL Server. It’s OK if you access NAV from Excel or Access (maybe you could test the ODBC connection this way!?), but as a “linked server” it probably won’t work well …

C/ODBC is not that buggy but has its limitations.

There is Excel Exsion tool, but not usable on Nav 2.xx (C/Front)

You can access NAV with far more applications then access or excel with c/odbc. But you can’t pass more SQL syntax then driver understands.

So no joins.