Problem connecting Navison as a Linked Server

Greetings! I am trying to setup Navision as a Linked Server from within SQL Server 2000. SQL 2K has the ability to connect to external data sources via ODBC. I’m wondering if anyone has done this or knows anything about this. I’ve configured a Linked Server using a Provider Name of “Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers”, Product Name of “Navision” and a Data Source of “Navision ODBC” (which is the ODBC system DSN). Creating this works well, and I can even view the list of tables. So I know SQL server is talking to the Navision data. I am having difficulty retrieving data. THeoretically, I should be able to use a four-part name to pull data, such as: SELECT * FROM NAVLIVE…Department But I get the following: Server: Msg 7317, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 OLE DB provider ‘MSDASQL’ returned an invalid schema definition. OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: OLE/DB provider returned an invalid schema definition.]. Anyh ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ken

C/ODBC does not function with OLEDB for ODBC, which is what linked servers are using. There are too many different types of basic errors.

Thank you Robert. That makes sense. Does not make me happy, but it makes sense. Ken

Thanks Devi, but I don’t have the SQL version of Navision. I’m trying to use the ODBC to get access to the Navision C/SIDE data. I’m looking for any resonable means to establish a Linked Server from SQL to Navision Data, short of upgrading to Navision SQL, which is too cost prohibitive right now. Any other ideas? THanks, Ken

Ken, It might not be practical for you, but NODBC shipped with Navision 4.0 (replacement for C/ODBC) is much improved in this area and may funciton for what you need to do.