Controlling Printer Trays

I am looking for some folks that have experience with the “CurrReport.PaperSource” function in Navision 2.6x. I am looking for more control over the papersource for certain reports than just the PaperSourceFirstPage and PapersourceOtherPages properties in the report. I’ve had limited success with this function. I was able to control it on one HP printer (an HP-6L) but not on another (an HP-4050). Does anyone know what kind of printer codes Navision sends to the printer when you choose Tray 2 (Lower Feed) or Tray 4 (Manual Feed)? Is it sending PCL codes directly to the printer for bin control? Does Navision override the printer’s panel set up? In other words, if the user has the printer use the “first available tray” as the default and loads paper in the manual feed tray, that tray becomes the first available. If we send a command through the Papersource function to pull from the lower tray, will the printer ignore it? Or, is it possible to send our own PCL codes to the printer? In the “old days” we could send Escape codes to HP printers to make them do certain things. I know that there are a lot of people on this forum a lot smarter than I and I hope that someone has had some experience with this. Best regards, Mark Keener. Mark Keener Automated Number Crunching Dayton, OH USA

Have you tried PAPERSOURCE? I acturally does work - But it takes a while :slight_smile: And when using it, You can’t be sure, that the papertrays match the trays mentioned in the help. I useally uses the user specific (255 and up). Also - The printer has to be set up corectly. - As far as I remember you need to try an play with the Paper Handeling Menu - If You can’t get it to work.:slight_smile: //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

Henrik, Thanks for the reply. I am trying to use the papersource and have had SOME luck with it. I am curious though as to your mention of user specific trays above 255. Is there any documentation as to setting these trays up? (I’ve been using Navision for almost 3 years, I should know better than to ask about documentation!! :wink: Are the codes sent to the printer controlled in a codeunit somewhere? Thanks, Mark. Mark Keener Automated Number Crunching Dayton, OH USA

Well - This is from the OnLine Help:

quote:

se this function to return the paper source used for the current page or a specified page, and to set a new paper source. CurrReport.PAPERSOURCE(PaperBinNo [, PhysicalPage]) PaperBinNo: tray number PhysicalPage: page number Comments The PAPERSOURCE function has two parameters: the tray number, which is mandatory, and the page number, which is optional. If the printer does not support the tray number, the function call will be ignored, and the printer will continue using the previously selected tray. The tray numbers that correspond to the options for the PaperSourceFirstPage and PaperSourceOtherPages properties are as follows: 1 Upper or Only One Feed 2 Lower Feed 3 Middle Feed 4 Manual Feed 5 Envelope Feed 6 Envelope Manual Feed 7 Automatic Feed 8 Tractor Feed 9 Small-format Feed 10 Large-format Feed 11 Large-capacity Feed 14 Cassette Feed 15 Automatically Select 256 Printer Specific Feed 1 257 Printer Specific Feed 2 258 Printer Specific Feed 3 259 Printer Specific Feed 4 260 Printer Specific Feed 5 261 Printer Specific Feed 6 262 Printer Specific Feed 7 263 Printer Specific Feed 8 If the printer supports other tray numbers, you can enter these too. If you do not specify a page number, the tray change will apply to the current page. The new tray will also apply to subsequent pages until the next tray change occurs. When you do specify a page number, the tray change will take place when the specified page is printed. Subsequent pages will also use this tray until the next tray change. The tray change can be placed anywhere on a page and still apply to the whole page. If you specify more than one paper tray selection for a page, the printer uses the last selection.

//Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

The Printer Specific also include the standard trays :slight_smile: Sometimes 256 is tray 1, other times tray 2 - Depends on printer - Isn’t standards just great :smiley: //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

Update: Most of the times the navision papersource only works if the printer with the trays is your “default printer”.