Beginner First Post - Part 3

I am having to make a new post because Quick Reply doesn’t seem to work …

I did download quite a few files from the Downloads section (a lot of informative powerpoint shows as well, thanks)

One download I finally found gave me an MDF database - but with no tables in it (why have a substantial MDF with no tables ?, I’m thinking)

Second (AU Link) gave me a file called Database.FDB (NAV2009AUdatabase_fbk.rar) I actually have no idea what this is.

(But I notice that you and Modris believe this is exactly what I have been searching for - This is what you need - even a 3 year old should be able to follow the obvious links provided, I was told - This actually makes me feel quite stupid because I just have no idea on earth what to do with this file - futhermore Modris also confirmed that I am in fact an idiot, because he gave me this link which is totally meaningless to me - I should understand it - it is so obvious - I kept asking for an MDF file but it seems this is not what you both believed I needed - I need an FDB file, right ?)

Since you and Modris both are far more educated in this than me, I figured well, lets have another shot with perhaps someone who understands where I am coming from - ie, WHAT IS AN .FDB FILE ?? - hunted the internet - none the wiser )

As you can imagine, having spent considerable time in trying to get what I considered 'simple stuff", (and kept hitting brick walls), I did the only common sense thing - “Try something else”

I am sure .FDB files are really important, but at the stage I am at, they dont exactly mean much to me

Perhaps you could explain their significance, please

Many thanks for your interest

FDB file is the database file when using NAV classic with Native database.

FBK is the backup file when Back is taken from the NAV application, no matter you are using Native database or SQL database.

I do not know the technical definition but I consider FDB as Fin/Finsql database and FBK as Fin/Finsql backup file where Fin/Finsql is the executable file of Navision.

Is it the “Quick Reply” button that opens up a new window or the quick reply/comment form in the bottom of the thread that doesn’t work for you? If neither works the just click the normal reply button.

What download gave you a MDF database with no tables?

The FDB file is the Navision Financials DataBase - the database file for the native database version of Navision. Financials was the name of the first windows version of Navision. This is what 90% or more of all developers and consultants are using when they run Navision locally. When you have the FDB file, then you just use the normal client FIN.EXE (not the SQL Option one - FINSQL.EXE) and opens the database from here.

If you later want to import this into your sql version you can just export the objects and then import it into your sql version.

PS: It would be great if you could give your posts a more informative subject.

I started typing this reply before both of Erik’s replies were posted
corrected FDB to FBK

Hi Jock (or is it George?)

Your frustration is very understandable, the NAV world seems to confuse just about everyone. We’ve all gone through the same stages that you are going through, and everyone can remember those times very well. If anyone makes you feel like an idiot I am 100% certain that this was not the intention (even though sometimes replies can be quite harsh, from me included).

To give you a little bit of background about the MDF situation: at some point, before Navision was purchased by Microsoft, it was decided to split SQL Server databases up into 2 physical files by default, one NDF and one MDF. The MDF only holds table definitions, the application objects, it does not contain the actual tables or the data itself. That is stored in the NDF. To get a fully functioning NAV database on SQL Server (at least as far as the standard Cronus databases goe) you will need the NDF as well as the MDF.

The FBK file is a backup file in NAV proprietary format. You can use it to create C/SIDE databases, but also to create SQL Server databases. The catch is, that you will need to create the database with the NAV client, so that it can take care of proper file creation. You can modify this though, if you want, during the creation process. To create a database from an FDB file, you first create the database itself (with the NAV client, NOT on SQL Server directly), and then from the new, empty database, you do Tools, Restore, select full, and let it complete. The Cronus database should restore in under 10 minutes on a laptop.

Now on to more useful steps… First thing you need to do is get your NAV partner to supply you with a full installation disk. This will include all the installation files, the technical manuals, and the extended procedures that you will need to put onto SQL Server. The rest of this post is assuming that you have access to a NAV partner, and that you have this installation disk.

The technical manuals (up to NAV 5.0 SP1) are found in a folder called ‘Doc’, right in the root of the installation disk. The installation manual for SQL Server is called “w1w1isql.pdf”, which has all the information you will need to successfully get a NAV database up and running on SQL Server.

I think that is a good start, let us know when you need more information. I’d like to ask you one favor though, and that is to be a bit more specific in your post titles. Titles like “Beginner post part 3” tells us nothing about your problem. Good luck.

Hi Daniel,

Great reply! I didn’t even know that part about the NDF and MDF files! Thanks.

But I guess you didn’t read through your reply before posting, as you made a little mistake:

The FDB file is the database file in the proprietary/native format.

The FBK file is the backup file in the NAV format. You can use this file to restore into a SQL Server database using the (classic) NAV client.

Just trying to post again (THIS IS A TEST) - I have been clicking on Quick Reply - keying a reply - then clicking on POST below

That’s “funny” (not really) but so far I’ve only heard people report that the “Post a Comment/Solution” form didn’t work. I’ve never heard that the “Quick Reply” form didn’t work.