What is the significance of DIEF

Hi All,

I just learned DIEF, it’s very cool feature but, I was just thinking what could be the industrial use of the data import export framework.

I know we can bring data in AX by CSV file but, the same can be achieved through the Excel add ins export and import, then why we need DIEF.

If possible please give some real time example to build my understanding and logic.

Thank you for your time,

bye…[:)]

You’re right that there is a subset of features of DIXF that can be done by Excel Add-in as well. But you’re ignoring the rest of the framework.

The main point is that entity classes understands the data model and knows how to store data in GAB, how to deal with RecId references etc.

You have a huge amount of configuration in DIXF, e.g. you can say easily modify mapping, define which field validations will be triggered etc.

DIXF supports more formats than just Excel, including text files, ODBC and AX itself (used also when copying entities between companies).

And so on. You’ll find even more features mentioned in Data import/export framework user guide (DIXF, DMF).

I would suggest you look at the MDM and company comparison features of DIXF as a start point.

Also search Excel import on this forum to find the multitude of tasks it cannot do!