Tracking item comsumption during production process with NAV 2009

Hi Experts,

Would you please help with the following request.

I am settiing up production module of NAV 2009. My customer buys rolls of paper and consume them by kilograms during the production process. Each roll is assigned a serial number and customer wants to keep track of the use of each roll. How many Kg used and how many Kg is remaining on each roll identified by its serial number.

What would be the best and simplest way to address this case ?

Thanks in advance.

Every roll i.e. the Purchase Unit of Measure would be having relationship in Kgs. Base unit of measure of RM would be Kgs. So while taking the stock in u will be buying in Rolls and on production BOM the quantity to be consumed would be mentioned in KG. U can assign each roll taken in a lot no. and during consumption u can consume qty out of a lot , in KGs.

This will work only if the relationship b/w unit of measures is fixed i.e. 1roll = 10kg. If they have diff kind of rolls for same Item then u wud have to create diff types of roll unit of measure. I hope the relationship is not floating.

It should be a lot number not a serial number to track in this manner.

Hi Friends and thank for your feeback.

So if I have to use Lot numbers, does it mean that I have to assign a Lot number to each roll ?

PS: What I was doing was to assign same lot number to all rolls purchased and delivered together ?

Thanks

It depends what you want to achieve. Having a batch per roll means you can see you have 100kg or 0.2 rolls of batch A in stock. Having it per delivery may mean you have 1200kg in stock or 2.4 rolls. It depends where you want your traceability and how you record the entry at goods in.

I guess you’ve already found the solution but I can tell you our way out with a similar issue.

we’ ve got this material storaged in bales but each bale could weight 180-220 KG. so we use un same Serial Nr por each bale.

Thi way you can consume KG and see the stock per bales and in KG.

Hope it helps!