Items - Inventory tracking and grouping

We are on NAV 14.0. We are looking to change the way to we do inventory. I understand there are Lot Nos and Serial Nos. Is there a way to keep track of weight for each Serial No that belongs to a specific Lot No? Let’s say I have apples, I want to keep the unit of measure as lbs for each bag of apples, would have a Serial No and a group of bags would be a lot with perhaps an expiration date. I see that Serial No need a qty of 1. Is there something I am missing to do that or is that not possible?

Serial numbers are always a quantity of one but you could do a work around. Option 1–imbed the lbs into the serial number…serial number 123 - 30 where 30 is the pounds. Option 1-- let each lot number be the serial number 123 with a quantity of 30 and Unit of Measure pounds All serial numbers in the Lot would have the same beginning - example ABC is the Lot, 123 id the serial number ABC-123.
Maybe one of these options would work for you.

Thank you for the reply and thoughts. I think the second option might be best and have any of the reports they need could split off a symbol such as “-”.

In NAV 14.0, you can use the Lot Tracking functionality to track the weight of each Serial No belonging to a specific Lot No. When you create a lot, you can assign a unit of measure (e.g. lbs) and set the weight for that lot. Then, when you receive the bags of apples, you can assign a unique serial number to each bag and specify the weight for that bag. The system will automatically calculate the total weight for the lot based on the weight of the individual bags.

You can also set an expiration date for each lot to ensure that the apples are used before they spoil. To set up Lot Tracking, you’ll need to enable the relevant features in NAV and configure the relevant tables and fields. It’s recommended that you work with a NAV consultant or partner to ensure that the Lot Tracking functionality is set up correctly for your specific needs.

This is a tough one due to the Item Unit of Measure conversion. In order to serialize the bags you would need to establish “Bag” as the Item’s Base Unit of Measure. You can establish the weight of the bag in the Item Unit of Measure table. You could create a custom field called “Calc. Weight”, which you could add throughout the system to calculate based on the Qty of Bags sold so Users could see how many pounds is being sold.

If you buy/sell/make them as Bags, you would be in good shape at this point.

If you buy/sell/make them as “LBS”, now you need a negative Item Unit of Measure conversion. For example, if 1 Bag of Apples weighs 3 Lbs., then your LBS Qty. per Base UOM would be 1/3 (or .33333 bags). This becomes an issue when the system is trying to sell and convert 6 LBS of apples into serialized bags, because you’ll end up with a remainder of .00002 bags.

You would need a process that goes through and removes all the remainder bags so the system doesn’t tell you to sell .00002 of 10,000 bags to complete a sale.

If you remove the Serial Tracking of the bag it would greatly simplify the process. You could keep the Base UOM as LBS, and life would be easy.