Manufacturing : Item tracking issue

Hi everyone,

I have to setup a manufacturing module in Nav 2009 for a customer that buys rolls of ropes and sell them by meter…

The problem is that his customers usually don’t know how many meters they actually need…so he allows them to take an entire rope and then return the rest of it when they finish their work…
He wants to keep track of the use of each roll : how many meters were used and how many meters are remaining…

Is it possible to setup this???and how???

Any suggestion would be a great help :)

You could ship the roll(or whatever is remaining) and then unship and bill the actual amount when he brings it back. So if your inventory is 3 rolls @ 100 meters/roll. So the first customer comes in and takes the first roll.

So you ship 100 Meters to customer A, your inventory is now 200 Meters.

Customer B comes in and takes the second roll, so you ship another 100 to that customer. You now have 100 Meters in inventory.

Customer A returns and used 10 Meters, so you unship the 100 is took, and then ship and invoice him for 10 meters. You now have 190 Meters in inventory.

Customer B returns and used 50 Meters, you unship the 100 he took and then bill him for the 50 he used, now you are at 240 Meters in inventory.

I would write the remaining amount on the rolls as they come back…

Customer C comes and takes the roll that customer B took, so ship 50 Meters…

You see how it works? You might be able to serialize or lot code the item so you can track what roll they took and wouldn’t need to write on each roll.

Isn’t pretty…but it will work.

Thank you for the quick reply, but I still have an issue in the inventory …

In addition to the total quantity remaining, for example 190 Meters, he needs to display the remaining quantity for each rope, like this:

Rope1 : remaining 90 Meters.

Rope2 : remaining 100 Meters.

Would I be able to display that with the way you described???

Yep if you use item tracking with LOTS you can assign what lot( or roll in your case ) . So when you sell you have to say what lot it came from. Make sense?

OK [:)]

I will try it and get back to you if there is another issue [:)]

Here I am again [:)]

I tried to set up two units of measure for my item (RollOfRope) tracked by lot number:

Code Qty. per Unit of Measure
ROLL 100
M 1,00

The base unit of measure is M, the sales unit of measure is M, the purchase unit of measure is ROLL…

I purchased 5 rolls, to which I assigned a lot number…

When I try to ship 10 meters to a customer, it is a total confusion…

Am I supposed to get a lot number for each meter in a roll or what???

May be the units setup in the item card is wrong…

I am really confused, so correct me if I am wrong please…

Create a separate location for each customer, then transfer the required quantity for that customer to their location, when you bill them, ship and invocie the required quantity for that customer location, then transfer the rest back to main location. Also it might helpt o name the location the same as the Customer.No.

OK, but how can I link the roll to its corresponding meters of rope???

use LOTALLEXP for item tracking code. So when you buy it you need to assign it a lot number. Then when you sell it you have to enter the lot number. I’m not sure if that LOTALLEXP is default or not, but basically setup a simple lot and it should work. Then you can see what you have on had and show the open item ledger entries with lot numbers…

If i purchase 5 rolls, a lot number is assigned for the 5 (all together)…

Then, when I need to sell for example 10 meters, I can’t specify from each roll they are taken, besides I get an error message on unavilability(quantity in inventory not sufficient…)

I think the unit measures I specified for the item are wrong(I wrote them above)…

So please, what shall I do???

You don’t need to assign the same lot number to all. In the item tracking form make 5 lines, with 100 no each line and assign different lots. Even if it is ROLL1, ROLL2, ROLL3, ROLL4. Then you can just write on the rolls big numbers. Make sense?

Yes, I tried it and it works…I now have to check it with my client…

Thank you all for your patience [:)]