The difference between Application Builder & Solution Developer Licenses

I run the IT department of a non-profit, and we currently use MS NAV 5.0 with the additional Serenic modules for non-profits(NFP). We would like to develop an e-commerce website that will connect directly to our NAV db, where we currently store customer information, product information, etc. etc.

Our main objective is to create the e-commerce in .NET. Users will fill out forms on the website, and after going through the business logic, if the data is approved/accepted it would hit our NAV db. The data would either populate fields that are already in NAV, or we could create new fields in the current tables, or even create new tables to connect. Plus we would also like to create a new tab in a record. For example, in the customer record, we would like to have a new tab called RESTRICTIONS that restricted customers from ordering certain items.

My question is what development license would we need to complete the above? I think the Application Builder is enough, but I am not sure. I understand the Solution Developer License lets you do everything but is also around $28K. For a non-profit that is a lot. Any suggestions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you intend to modify posting routines, it is very likely you will require the Solution Developer’s license.

Correct. The full description of the Solution Developer is below.

You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool. This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.

What you should consider is if you want to spend this extra part or not. I don’t think you can come around buying the full Application Builder license. But you might be able to save the Solution Developer.

Very few end users really need the Application Builder, and allthough I do have a numebr of clients with this granule, I do not normally recommend it. The cost of the granule is actually pretty trivial. The true cost is that once you have access to modify posting routines, you need significant training or else you can seriously damage your system. I find that end users can do a very large percentage of their needs with Solution developer, and then when they really need to use Application Builder, work with their partner to develop that piece.

I think you have the granules backwards

This is what I found out about the licenses.

Application Builder:

You use this granule to change the business rules and special calculations that work behind the scenes. These business rules and special calculations are defined in a language we call C/AL (C/SIDE Application Language). While Application Builder includes access to C/AL, it does not allow access to existing C/AL code that updates write-protected tables (postings for instance). Application Builder lets you create entirely new areas of functionality for your application, enabling you to tailor Microsoft Dynamics NAV to fit your entire organization. This tool also enables you to create 100 Codeunit objects (numbered from 50,000 to 50,099). The Application Builder granule enables you to take advantage of the functionality included for developers in the Navigation Pane Designer. This means, for example, that you can create new menu items.

Solution Builder:

You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool. This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule.

Does that sound right. So having the Solution Builder is an overkill, for what we are doing, but the Application Builder is what we need to customize to our organizational need.

I think he did yes! But that’s what can happen a late Saturday night! [;)]

Hi Mr. Ernst - i want your advise about buying a NAV developers license. I have a partners license. I am able to create new tables & forms but editing or inserting a new column with the tables is not allowed with my license. What type of license will you recommend to me to purchase to enable me to do editing codes & inserting a new column to the tables.

Since you have a partner license, that means you are a Dynamics NAV partner, and you will have all the access you need. You don;t need to buy anything, you probably just need some training.

actually we have 5 x 2 Databases

1. DB1a - DB1b

2. DB2a - DB5b

3. DB3a - DB5b

4. DB4a - DB5b

5. DB4a - DB5b

so every databases “a” are for development

we develop using these databases… databases “b” are our production

we do not develop in databases “b”

So you have 5 production databases (b), therefore should have 5 licenses. I’d suggest you discuss this with your NAV partner. They will be in the best position to advise you what you need to do for proper licensing. I’m basing my response on the standard EULA. But there’s been a variety of variations for multi-site/multi-database implmentations.

based on my experience, 1 license is for 1 server…

but my partner said it should be 5 licenses

Your partner is correct.