Developer's license

Hi Everyone: I will be hiring a Navision programmer and need to know the cost of the Navision developer’s license. If anyone know, please let me know. Thanks Dennis Mahon MIS Director

The cost is easiest obtained by calling your local Navision Solution Center (eventually call BMI at 888-580-8382). Navision has set the price just so high that you REALLY must need to buy it. They normally prefer that you use their Solution Centers. The developer license is divided into three steps: 1) Designer Level (Report/DataPort/Forms/Table Designers) 2) Application Builder 3) Solution Developer If you buy the Application Builder then you must have all three designers. And when you buy the Solution Developer, then you need the Application Builder. To do EVERYTHING in the system, then you need the Solution Developer, but if you can live with the fact that you cannot change the Protected tables and codeunits, then Application Builder is enough for you. In Denmark the price of the Application Builder is 10 times the price of the Table Designer and the Solution Developer is 3.5 times higher than the Application Builder. Maybe then you can calculate your own price…

Even you have the developers license (which I think costs on the order of $5000-$10000) you still can’t do everything a Solution Center’s developers can do: e.g., you can not modify the posting routines. Also, (except in extreme cases, like if your NSC screws things up big time and/or goes out of business) you can not contact Navision’s excellent product services department directly; you have to go through your NSC, which may or may not have a competent customer-support group. It might be cheaper in the long run to become a Solution Center yourself [:)]

Tim, If you’re right about this, that you not even with the Solution Developer’s license can change the posting codeunits, then I would say that Microsoft’s description of this is a fraud! “Solution Developer (7,300) You use this granule for the same purposes as the Application Builder granule, but it also gives you access to code that updates write-protected tables. This granule gives you the access necessary to change or create any object type, and gives you access to the Merge Tool and Upgrade Tool. This granule also enables you to use the menu options Translate/Export and Translate/Import in the Object Designer. These options are not available with the Application Builder granule. Requirements: Application Builder”

The description quoted by Erik is a little misleading, but it falls short of being “fraudulent” since the phrase “any object type” means you can modify SOME (most, actually) objects of all five Navision types— but not necessarily EVERY object of EVERY type. There is a workaround for non-NSC programmers who need to modify the posting routines. You can have the NSC put calls in the posting codeunits to functions on other codeunits (or on any other object type.) Just have them pass the journal or ledger line as a VAR-type variable to the second codeunit and then pass it back to the original posting codeunit…

I think you need to check with Navision for the real answer. It might be useful to then share that here on the forum. I am under the impression that the purchased Solution Developer license provides all the C/AL development capabilities that an NSC Developer license provides. However, the NSC developer license does also include C/OCX, C/FRONT, and other seperately licensed tools.

Good point Dave. In addition, not even an NSC’s development license will allow access to “all” objects within Navision. Denmark still keeps close tabs on a few areas that only their license will access. Call it what you want…fraud or simply Denmark’s attempt at marketing? I’d like to think the latter since Navision was never known as a marketing machine.

Actually, with the Solution Developer license, the end user can modify the posting codeunits. Despite what the poorly written text from Navision says, if any of you have access to a client’s license that has this, you can verify for yourself.

Hi Allen, Sorry, but I must contradict you. We are EndUser and we have the Solution Developer license, but if we want to change & save e.g. CU 80 then always an error like this appears: “You don’t have permissions to …” (from German). The resaon is: We didn’t bought all modules! If I want to save the CU 80 (CU 12…) the system tests all integrated modules - and If we didn’t bought one: error [:(]. This is a serious bug (ahem issue [;)]) for me. We had reported this problem to our NSC. No answer yet. bye Andre

What you need to do is go into the codeunit properties and delete the permissions for the tables you aren’t licensed for . I got the same error with our solutions license. In our codeunit I had to delete the salesbuffer table permissions from codeunit 90 and all was fine.

quote:

Originally posted by stevep
What you need to do is go into the codeunit properties and delete the permissions for the tables you aren’t licensed for . I got the same error with our solutions license. In our codeunit I had to delete the salesbuffer table permissions from codeunit 90 and all was fine.

Thank you for the hint [:)]. I’m wondering if our NSC has such a solution like this. But wouldn’t it be better if moduls which I didn’t bought are hidden and not included in any part of the code? How often I get an error: “No permissions …” [:(!]! This is for me in contradiction to an open and modular system. I’m only a user … [:(]. bye Andre

Andre - The suggestion which followed my reply is the type of information that most Solution Centers don’t have either the experience with or specific data from Navision, but it’s one of the things we teach users in our training classes (we learned it the hard way). That’s also why they don’t let me do training classes…

Hi Allen,

quote:

Originally posted by Allen Beck
… The suggestion which followed my reply is the type of information that most Solution Centers don’t have either the experience with or specific data from Navision …

Yes, you are right! I think in this case the NSC’s are not quilty. This is an issue for the Navision (MS) headquarter. bye Andre

hi i am an employee of a NSC in india. if i complete the certification of Navision developer, can i get the developers license in my name or in my NSC name. will i be able to use it anywhere or only in India. with best regards vaibhav

hi vaibhav, you can get your answer in “Navision FLF” topic. i have just answered.