TCP/IP connection to a server through internet

Hi all, suppose you install Navision Server on a computer that has a public IP address. Then Navision server sets a TCP port to “listening” status on that server (suppose to set the firewall in the correct way). My question is: if I change the Host file on my computer, setting the IP address of the server linked to the name of Navision service and I change the relative Services file, can I connect directly to Navision Server using my Navision client through Internet? If not, what are the differences between a LAN connection to the server and an Internet connection (my server listen on the TCP port in each case, so I cannot see the differences)? Thanks Marco Ferrari

Hello, I used to support a customer who enabled us to access their Navision system for support work this way, by openning their router and providing us with the server IP address. This did work, but it moved very, very slowly and would frequently time out. Everybody else whom I used to support used PCAnywhere, Citrix/Terminal Server or direct dial links, all of which were considerably faster. Eventually we managed to persuade this customer to buy PCAnywhere instead, which was a big improvement. This was back in 1999, but I don’t imagine that high speed internet links will have improved things. You can do it - It’s just not very practical way of logging on remotely. -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net

Hello. The simple answer is that Navision Financials / Attain is not designed to run on a WAN (Wide Area Network) or across the Internet. As Edward pointed out I would use Citrix or Terminal Server. /Michael