Special Charges on Sales Order

First, a little background on my system. Currently running NAV 4.0 SP1.

My question is, how are you suppose to do special charges that are not really inventory in a way. We sell some brackets, but depending on the customer we might have to put a special coating on the bracket which a third party does. So I would like to show on a sales order, the bracket and its price and then a charge for the special coating, but I don’t know if this should be an item since it isn’t inventory. Or should I just make a bracket with the special coating an item by itself? In our sells pamphlet, we show the bracket price and then the extra amount for coating, so that is why I would like to show it on the order/invoice that way.

Also, how do you handle special charges such as restocking, expediting or under a certain amount. My company likes to charge for everything. Thanks for the help.

you could create two item numbers 1 with coating & 1 without. But then you would have to create two numbers for every item that has this choice.

If you create another item for simply the coating then that could be used in conjunction with many different items.

You can always create a new inv posting group for this “phoney” item to hit the g/l account you want & not effect inventory.

Do you want to log a cost of this procedure or do you want to just give them a charge for it?
if your cost is zero then it won’t effect inventory any way since the value is zero.

if you want this “charge item” to be included in the sales price of your item in the statistics, you can create a sales charge item called coating and assign it to the sales item. then you will get figures in the item statistics like the following for ex:

item x sales amount 1100. (in item ledger entry)

if you drill down you will be able to see that the original sales amount was 1000 and a second line for the assigned sales item charge for 100 (as value entry)