RTC connection to NAV Server

Dear Friends,

I am preety new to Navision, but learning alot from this forum and help of community. Now, i am facing a problem which i tried my best to solve but could not. I read many posts but none was helpful. If someone could guide me then it would be great help.

I have two virtual machines, on one i have installed the whole navision (developer version). From another machine (client) i want to access the NAV server. I have installed RTC client on that client too, but i am not able to get connected to NAV Server. I can get connected using RTC Client on Host machine, but not from Client machine.

IP of my NAV Server is 192.168.0.13, so in RTC i write 192.168.0.13/DynamicsNav. I can ping that machines, but cant get connected to Nav Server.

Any idea what can be wrong? Looking forward for some help.

Hi Adde,

try to add the port number to your connection string I think the standard port number ist 7046. So in your case it would be

192.168.0.13:7046/DynamicsNav

Regards,

Jan

Thanks Jan for replying.

I am already using it the way you mentioned, but still its not working.

Hi Adde,

in the Install-Directory of the NAV-Service (\DynamicsNAV\Service in your Program Directory) there is a customsetting.config file. Can you check this file to the ServerInstance-Name and the ServerPort-Number? You can check this also if you when you click the “Microsoft Dynamics NAV” button and then change database in the working RTC it should open a window in which you can see the connection string it uses at the moment. Another possibility could be that the firewall is blocking the used port…?

Regards,

Jan

Jan !

Once again thanks for your help.

I have already tried these things also.

Am sure about port no and instance name.

I am not sure about firewall, or any priviliges that we need to give or some thing to do with SQL.

Any idea?

Oh, actually I really have an Idea…when you install Dynamics NAV in the dev-edition the system creates an NAV-User (= SQL-Login) for the current user…is this the same user you’re using when trying to connect from the other vm? Do you get an error message? If yes can you upload it here?

Jan !

Here it comes. Looking forward for some comments :slight_smile:

Hi Adde,

ok, my swedish isn’t that good so the error-message doesn’t tell me that much :wink: can you translate it to english?

The second screenshot looks good…

The third one: did you collapse the security file and checked wether the user you want to login from the other vm is there?

Regards Jan

Hello Jan,

First of all sorry for uploading Swedish. You know when you are stuck some where, you do that kind of strange things. Think i should hit my head in wall :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way it says " Inocrrect URL or the server is not available at present. "

How can i check if user is inside that file? I have no idea about that. Can we define user in Conf. file or?

No problem, really :slight_smile:

In the screenshot you posted from the sql-server management studio there is a folder “Security” - collaps it and check wether the user you’re using to login from the remote pc is listed or not. If not you have to create one (but from the top-level security-folder, not the subfolder of the database).

Regards,

Jan

Just found something else…using

telnet 192.168.0.13 7046

you can check if the port is blocked by your firewall.

Regards Jan

Hej Jan !

I tried it sevral ways, i created the enviroment again. My port is open, because i can access it within the machine, but when i try to connect from out of VM then it doesnot work. I have taked few snapshot, may be they can make it little clear. Now i am sure that its not network/firewall problem. I think i need to change some files some where in Nav. Any idea or suggestion ?

Moin Adde,

did you check what I wrote about the user-accounts above?

Regards,

Jan

Dear Jan !

As i told that i recreated the whole enviroment, as i dont have the access to that old machine now. I dont have SQL Management Studio installed on that machine now. Do you know if there is any other way to change permission for user-accounts? I have Windows Server 2008 where i have installed the NAV Server.

Here is detail of conf. file.

Feel like really hitting the wall now :frowning:

I think the problem really is, that you don’t have the to machines in one domain. I’d try this:

1. Get the two machines into your domain (or create a new one but don’t ask me how ;-))

2. Login to the first machine (server) with a domain account

3. Reinstall the Demo-Version of NAV

4. Login to the second machine using the same login try to start NAV

Another posibillity is to install server management studio on the first machine and try to insert a corresponding user.

Regards,

Jan

PS: The user on machine1 and machine2 - are they at least called the same? Because this way maybe you can get it to work also…

Thanks Jan !

It was problem of Domains.

I added computer name and user name in the same domain, and it worked.

Thanks, and keep rocking :slight_smile: