Question for all - users and NSC's

I have worked on both sides of a Navision installation - with an NSC and currently as an end-user developer (dba). My question are; 1) Are there many end users out there that are unhappy with their NSC and would consider an alternative - eg. a contractor? 2) If I was to become a contractor, what are the requirements (in the UK) for getting my licence and being able to trade? 3) Are there any Navision professionals interested in starting a new NSC?!?!?

Hi Connull, in response to your questions: 1) Im not sure how many users are unhappy with their NSC. Im sure there are some, but I suppose most have at least a working system. There does however seem to be a trend with many NSCs to forget about their customers after a period of time. For example, once a system has been put in place and all the major bugs have been ironed out, the NSC only responds to support requests. This is probably understandable as they do not see the customer as a major revenue generator any more and have bigger gains to make from servicing new business. Im sure most NSC employees can name at least one of their implementations for which the above is true. Businesses change over time though, and so do the processes. There are many Navision systems out there which may have been near perfect at the time of implementation, but are now a little tired and neglected. Over time, and as users become familiar with their own system, many will have their own suggestions for how things can be improved. 2) If you wanted to be a contractor, the best way would be to ‘affiliate’ yourself with an NSC. I suppose this would mean you would be working on their behalf as an employee unless a looser arrangement could be negotiated with them. The alternative involves a fair bit of effort. As a consulting partner in the UK, the following conditions must be satisfied: i) have to be a limited company (ltd) or some other legal entity (LLC PLC etc). ii) Minimum 2 qualified employees [2 Essentials] [2 Fin Mgt.] [1 Developer] iii) An NSC fee, I think its 5k a year iv) 5% of all your revenue goes to Navision v) A history of implementing Navision or similar products. vi) A business plan and the ability to reach your forcasted targets! The requirements for an NSC are even more stringent. 3) Feel free to contact me on this point. Regards, Edward.

Edward, Thanks for your reply. The first question was really for end-users to give me a bit of a picture as to prospective clients, if I was thinking of contracting. Are you currently working for an NSC?

Contracting and IR35 tend to go hand in hand as well! And IR35 proof contract is the way ahead!

Yes sorry I got a bit overexcited in responding! Im not working for an NSC, but am one of 3 members of an NCP (not the car parks!) Regards, Edward.

Edward, I have sent you an ICQ message, could you reply to that email address (although I won’t be able to pick it up until this evening). Regards

Connull, I have received your message via ICQ but it only seemed to show the first few characters of the email address (ICQ lite is diabolical!). Anyways, could you use the “send email to contact” button on my profile to let me know your email address again. Thanks! Regards, Edward.

Edward, I have sent you an email via your profile - incidently, that’s where you could have got my email from (my profile). I’ve put on the email my work email address too - you can email that address between the hours of 9am - 5pm (Mon - Thurs) and 9am - 4.30pm (Fri).

Edward, Could you email me here at work about the requirements for what we discussed please?!?!?