production order

what does this error mean when trying to end a production order: "Inventory dimension Location must be specified. " ? how do i get passed it ? Thanks in advance

Hi,

You missed the location dimension on your production order, or report as finish journal, or picking list.

Also, take a look at the dimension group of items your working on. The location dimension must be actived as mandatory.

Thanks Khue Trinh. i found out that some pick list lines were missing locations. These pick lists have already been posted. how do i fix this ? Also, it is complaining in my Transfer Orders when i try to ship or receive with the same error message. Any idea what is going on here ? Help please !!! Thank you.

If you have posted picking list, then the problem is not on the picking list but on Report As Finish journal…

What you need to check are:

1. Check the dimension group set up of the FG item to see whether location is mandatory.

2. On Report As Finish journal, you have to specify the location of the FG item. Or if you don’t use report as finished journal (some compapny by pass this step), you have to specify the location on the Production Order form.

Same things need to be considered on other inventory journals (transfer, movement, picking…)

Long term, you need to think about the set up of dimension group of the item if you don’t want to mantain this item at location level. You may need to create a new dimension group and change the dimension group of the item on item master form.

Hope this help.

One cause of this could be if you “uplifted” the dimension group on the item card - moving it from a group not requiring locatoin to one requiring location. This can really cause you problems.