Positive days

Hi,

What is the recommendation to set up the postive days in master plans? I have seen the client set it to 400 days. But I don’t know whether it is too many.

Thanks,

It depends upon how many days are appropriate. No point in it being 400 if the coverage time fence is less. If the client does not understand teh concept or are early in the process get them to set it to the same as teh coverage time fence, that is my recommendation for people starting out, it avoids confusion.

The positive days let you say for how long do you want your inventory on hand to be available into the future.

In your case, suppose you have 100 units of item A in stock you receive a customer order of 50 units of item A, for the day 390 from now, MRP will use 50 units of item A you have in stock, but if the order is for 401 days from now, MRP will ignore the 100 units in stock as they are only available for the next 400 days into the future and will tell you to purchase or manufacture other 100 units of Item A (100 units is just an example) to fullfill the customer order.

To answer your question, if the products/materials have some restriction on expiration, freshness or something else, 400 days could be too much depending on that restriction. If your product does not have anything to do with expiration or other restrictions, 400 days could be too little.

For a particular customer I have set it up to 720 days.

Hi Hector the 720 day setting must have a coverage fence of 720 or greater to make sense though!

AX2012 will plan based upon the expiry date of the product if batch or serial controlled and therefore the postive days only impacts if it is less than the best before calculation.