Navision Restore error message

Hi all, after backing up our Navision Database … Tools → Backup I got a message that the backup ended without any problems. Then by trying to restore the db I am getting an error message indicating that this is not [:(] a Navision backup (.fbk)file. Any one with an idea [?] We are using version 2.6.

You need to be more specific. There are a number of reasons to get this message. It could be that the file was corupt, just because Navision created the file correctly does not mean that the OS didn’t then go and thrash it. You may have a version issue, e.g. trying to import a 2.60 backup into a 2.01 Database. Also you may be reading the wrong file, I have seen quite often where files are saved with the wrong extensions, and iported incorrectly. This could happen for example, if you export some objects to disk, and manualy type in the name, and type c:\My Documents\Clients\MyCLient\Cust 2003-07-02.fbk Now you try to restore this as a backup, and get the error you are describing. It happens a lot, since the file name is logical to use as a backup or an object export.

David, thank you for your answer. Here is what happens: I Selected Tools → Backup, selected , the description defaults to and the backup file name defaults to <Fin1.fbk>. The size of the dB is ~ 17Gig. That’s pretty much. I tested the dB with the Navision Database Testing Tools before and after running the backup, using and and it seems to be fine.

David, … we are using only Navision 2.6 since two years …

You should browse to the actual file that you used for backup. Also, when you do a restore, all your keys are re-generated at the time of restore, so when you test the keys after restore, you always get correct results. Also, Windows 98 Explorer cannot copy files larger than 2 GB correctly. Windows 98 itself support files larger than 4 GB, but this is a bug in Windows 98 Explorer. However, you don’t have to worry about it because it shows you an error message: Windows 98 Explorer Cannot Copy Large Files: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293

Your problem is that when you restore, you are looking at the wrong file, or the file is corrupt. The best indication, is to look at the file you are importing, and check the size and date, to make sure it is the right one.