Navision eShip and FedEx a few questions.

Just a couple of questions to anyone using or that has installed eShip with FedEx. I am used to UPS, where rate tables are in NAV, and thus there is no need for worldship. In FedEx the only option is to use the integration between eShip and FedEx.

1/ Freight Cost:

How do people generally get freight rates at order entry time. We need to know how much freight will cost so we can giv ethe customer a full price, but this is way before eShip comes into it. So what is the best practice to have the Freight cost entered ont he Order so we can tell the customer the price over the phone. PS please don’t suggest opening the FedEx web site to find the rate.

2/ Weights and scales:

When the package is scanned and weighed, the box weight is not being entered into pack line scanning. Isn’t this supposed to automatically come from the FedEx software back to NAV. Is there a need to connect the scale to FedEx, or could it just connect direct to PackLine Scanning the same as PS does?

3/ Use of eShip:

What advantage is there for a company that used eShip just for FedEx? (assuming they don’t need any of the other eShip features) compared to just tying in the FedEx software directly.

Thanks.

I will not answer for e-ship, since this add-on isn’t seem too much in Portugal and Spain.

In European implementation that I know. UPS and Fedex Rates are get using webservices.

So you could have all data entered in Navision, requests are made to webservice provider and results are returned to Navision. All this without user to know that this was made outside Navision.

I already have a small job of this kind for a member of this site
I know that this solution wasn’t probably the answer that you wanted. This is only other possible solution without using e-ship.

1. You can use Rate Shop to get the estimated rates for a sales order. Rate shop essentially quotes the freight amount by looking at your carrier’s rates either loaded in NAV or in the example of Fedex, using Fedex API.

2. The rate is entered when you close the sales order. It’s a setup in E-Ship as to what you want to pop up as a line.

3. If the company just want to get the tracking number from Fedex, I recommend just writing dataports or XMLports. Seems overkill just to install e-ship for Fedex transactions.

Questions like this should be sent to Lanham directly. They’ll provide you with more information.