Master planning in AX2009

Hi All,

I wanted Master planning experts’ advice in addressing a requirement.

Lead time for most of the items is 2 months, so I suggested client to rely on Forecasting what could be the sale in the comings months and create the forecast lines. So that system generates planned orders.

Let’s say 16-Nov to 16-Dec expected sale is 100

16-Dec to 16-Jan expected sale is 150

My forecast lines may look like below:

16-Nov-13 100

16-Dec-13 150

Assume my coverage fences is 7 days

When I run the Scheduling today, an order will be generated with today’s order date to meet the demand on 16-Nov(This is to meet the demand of 16th Nov)

Next, I’m running the forecast scheduling & Master scheduling(To consider the onhand & ordered stock available) on 13-Oct-2013. This time system considering that “purchase order” generated earlier will meet the demand & not generating or reducing the order).

So, is there a way i can tell AX to not consider the PO which is already available in the system(bcoz it is to meet the demand in Nov)

Note: There could be few purchase orders which might have been placed. So those need to be considered.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but wanted to make it clear for everyone.

What is your planning horizon? Is it just the 7 days - what replenishment method do you have?

Why do you want it to generate another order? You have demand on 16-11-13 from the forecast and an order to meet it - why do you want the system to ignore what is balanced and over order? You have not said you have more demand in October so why would it generate another order?

Sorrry for creating some confusion on Time fence. Also I’m just correcting few things in the case.

Forecast plan Time fence - 60 days, master plan time fence - 60 days

replenishment method - Min/Max.

When i run the schedule today it considers the forecast line of 16-Nov and generates an order to have stock by 16-Nov. It is to meet the demand between 16-Nov to 15-Dec.

Next run, I do it on let’s say 16-Oct, this time forecast scheduling considers the line of “16-Dec” and generates an order. But if I run master scheduling this order will be reduced because there is expected receipt on 16-Nov and of course I dont have any “on-order” transactions in the system.

Am I right in saying that?

Your forecast run on Oct -16 should show Nov-16 and Dec-16 - why is your plan ignoring the forecast and demand balance on Nov-16?

On Min/Max what are your other relevant item coverage settings for replenishment method, forecast consumption, positive days and the other fields etc. Your order should not be reduced, you need 100 on 16-Nov and you are purchasing 100 and need 100 on 16-Dec which you are not purchasing anything for, so it should suggest a purchase.

Adam,

Thanks for your replies.

I will upload my setups and all as a document for your reference. But, please bear with the delay.