low level code

Dear all, As mentioned in the help, low level code is used to generate the requirement for components based on the requirement of parent.In the planning engine if I enter the parent name automatically it will generate requirement for the component depending on the level code. Can you tell me where we insert the level for the items. I am not able to make out. Abhay

Bill Of Material. Low level code is generated automatically, when setup in Mnf. Otherwise periodically by a batch job. Are you an end user or do you work for an NSC ?

Scenario: I am into business of computers and the components used are monitors and CPU. 1) Three items are created by the name computer, monitor and CPU. 2) BOM is created and item selected are monitor and CPU. 3) This BOM is linked to Item Computer. 4) Now there is a requirement for computer for 100 Quantities in the form of sales order. 5) In the planning engine when I run it by entering the name as computer than system should explode the BOM and generate data for CPU and Monitor in the form of Purchase Order. What is the setup I had to do so that in planning worksheet, data for the components gets populated automatically. I am working for an NSC. Ajay

Help is also mentioning the following, that in product structure I can assign the low level codes. You can assign a low-level code to each part in the product structure or the indented BOM. The top final assembly level is denoted as level 0 - the end item. The higher the low-level code number, the lower the item is in the hierarchy. For example, end items have low-level code 0, and the item parts that go into the assembly of the end item have low-level codes 1, 2, 3, and so on. The result is the planning of component parts coordinated with the requirements of all higher-level part numbers. When you calculate a plan, the BOM is exploded in the planning worksheet, and the gross requirements for level 0 are passed down the planning levels as gross requirements for the next planning level. So where do I do this.

You should not mention the item COMPUTER in the planning run, this acts as a filter, so no other items will be taken nto account, even if they are on the BOM. Run the planning without any filters. If I can give you some advice : take a couple of days and walk through the manufacturing course manual, a lot of basics are well explained.

quote:

Originally posted by abhay
Help is also mentioning the following, that in product structure I can assign the low level codes. You can assign a low-level code to each part in the product structure or the indented BOM. The top final assembly level is denoted as level 0 - the end item. The higher the low-level code number, the lower the item is in the hierarchy. For example, end items have low-level code 0, and the item parts that go into the assembly of the end item have low-level codes 1, 2, 3, and so on. The result is the planning of component parts coordinated with the requirements of all higher-level part numbers. When you calculate a plan, the BOM is exploded in the planning worksheet, and the gross requirements for level 0 are passed down the planning levels as gross requirements for the next planning level. So where do I do this.

This is done automatically for you. Switch it on in Manufacturing Setup.

As suggested I should not enter computer and run the planning engine without giving any filter. Sometimes one has to run the planning engine for few FG items, so automatically child item planning should be done based on BOM. BUt here we have to enter FG as well as BOM items. Help is also saying that at structure level, one can enter these low level codes, where and how ?

Hi Abhay As Gunther states: Low level codes are GENERATED by the system. YOU will not know if you are entering 100’s of BOM’s whether a component has LLC 4 or LLC 5 in other BOM’s therefore you have 2 choices: 1. In Manufacturing setup - tick “Dynamic Low-Level Codes” and then when a new BOM is certified all LLC’s are verified (this can be time consuming) 2. If the tick is not put in 1. you have to run the calculate low level code routine in the periodic activities in Manufacturing. The low level code can be seen on the item card (I think you have to bring it forward in designer). Further if you run the MRP run with an explicit requirement for the finished goods - it CANNOT plan for the components as they fall outside of the set filter. The demand will be created, but only fulfilled on your next unfiltered run. On occassions where you are planning for a few finished goods you will need to either run this for the components as well (I hope you don’t have many[:)]). There is no quick and easy way around this I am afraid, you are filtering the planning engine to reduce the processing time, but expecting it to calculate for items outside of the filter. Having said there is no way around it have you tried running the MRP for the FG and then clicking on the line and selecting refresh planning line - this is another short cut that may help you get to where you want to be.[;)]

quote:

Originally posted by abhay
As suggested I should not enter computer and run the planning engine without giving any filter. Sometimes one has to run the planning engine for few FG items, so automatically child item planning should be done based on BOM. BUt here we have to enter FG as well as BOM items. Help is also saying that at structure level, one can enter these low level codes, where and how ?

Try implementing product group codes or something and filter the planning run on product groups. If you really want to enter LLC’s (why on earth would you want to mess with that ???), make the field editable and enter the values you prefer. Good luck in creating an unsuported Navision version. Bye

Thanks Steven and Gunther. abhay