Insert copied entries from excel in navision table

Hello together, i must maintenance a tabel in navision. table: customer nr.|name|city|… for this i will copy the customer nr. from an excel-file into the customer nr. field. But i always get an error message “Ignore the last transaction with …because the max.number of sign(20)will be overwrite the Letterbox Customer nr.” “Die letzte Aktion mit dem ´Bearbeiten´menü (meistens einfügen´) wurde ignoriert, weil sie die max. Anzahl von Zeich (20) in der Textbox Kundennr. überschritten hätte.” Can anyone help me or exist there other / easier option? thank´s to all bobxxl

Hi, I think your data length for Customer code is larger than the field with of Customer Nr. (i.e. CODE(20)). Please check you data.

Usually when copying (ctrl-c ) from excell and pasting into navision (ctrl-v) it adds a couple extra characters that are also being counted into the description… An easier way to do it, especially if you’re having a big list of customers is exporting the excel file as txt and then creating a dataport for importing the data. Another way should be the creation of an automation. Regards,

Hello Rajesh and Alfonso, thank´s for your help. your proposal to exporting the excel file as txt i have searched yesterday. I get the same error message. Also i have cleared all blank in the customer field in excel- than try to copie in navision the same result. Is it difficult to creating a dataport for importing the data. Need i developer experience in navision or exist there a simple way? have a nice day bobxxl

Bob, Creating the dataport will be simple enough, unless some data manipulation is required. In a Navision dataport you basically tell it what delimiters and fields are going to be imported. However, if you’re importing data from another system, usually field lengths differ from system to system, and so the import becomes a little more tricky (for a novice). Are you an end-user or do you work for a NSC?!?!?

Hello Connull, i´m a sap consultant for Financial/Controlling since 3 years. The reason why i look for a solution in navision is that my brother (cant speak english)works in a company which using navision since 6 month. In every time when i met him he talk about problems in navision. When i heard this i can´t blieve that this points are really problem in a software like navision. if always he want support from their consultant he get the answer this function isn´t possible in the standard - but you can have a solution for additional money. Maybe it´s my false that i compare the functionality with sap??? bob

Hi Bob Your brothers NSC is right: It is almost impossible to import an Excel - file into Navision without any coding. (SAP does this without any coding???) But it is of course possible to import a Text - file (created within Excel) into Navision by a dataport. Can you please specify your error message from the dataport? IMHO the error messages from the dataport ("…jfhdykj kc" is zu lang) are quite helpful. Often the FieldStartDelimiter/FieldEndDelimiter are responsible for these errors. What kind of file do you try to import? bye André

quote:

Originally posted by bobxxl i´m a sap consultant for Financial/Controlling since 3 years. The reason why i look for a solution in navision is that my brother (cant speak english)works in a company which using navision since 6 month. In every time when i met him he talk about problems in navision. When i heard this i can´t blieve that this points are really problem in a software like navision. if always he want support from their consultant he get the answer this function isn´t possible in the standard - but you can have a solution for additional money. Maybe it´s my false that i compare the functionality with sap???

Ok… let’s explain this a bit more then… as you seem not to be familiar on how navision works yet [;)]… On Navision ALL objects creation and/or modification needs some kind of development license. There is a license that allows the user to create/modify reports and dataports, there is a license that allows the user to modify forms and there is a license that allows the user to modify codeunits. Without any of these licenses importing a file it’s not that easy (you can always develop a solution for importing the file with any of those licenses). There are also more advanced development licenses but if you already got one of those you don’t need them for just importing a file. Second thing: The text & code fields on Navision have a maximum lenght, that means that if the data you’re trying to put into a field is bigger than the field lenght it will give you an error and not allow you to do it. In the customer No. field, that lenght is 20 chars. Third thing: what does the standard includes… well the standard includes just that: the standard functionality. Depending on the NSC you’re working with and depending on certain other factors you’ll also be able of getting extra functionality from your NSC with the standard package, but keep in mind that in a way or in another they’ll at the end charge you for that extra service. Creating a dataport for importing just basic information about customers (and also for exporting if you need to) it’s not a hard task, but it’s something they’ll have to develop (unless the customer develops it himself), so they’ll charge you for the time of such development. If the customer is having a development license and a user that easily understand how things work… it’s probably a better idea using the money you’ll waste on doing the dataport on training that user on Navision and then having that user creating the dataport (it’s a really easy one).Keep in mind that for creating the object, the person working on that project needs at least knowing what objects you’re using on your database, what objects you’re having available on your license and knowing the structure of your file. Also having a copy of the database is really helpful, specially if wanting to test it… but it’s not totally needed). You can always post a sample file of the one you’re trying to import and maybe someone will guide you on what to do for creating the dataport. Regards,

Hi Bob Thank you for your private mail. But I would suggest to solve your problem with the help of this forum. We need some information about your trial to import the data by a dataport. A line from the text file would be helpful. And the fields you try to fill. And we need also the properties of your dataport (klick in an empty line in your dataport designer - then Ansicht/View → Properties). Then - I’m sure - we can lead you to the solution of your problem. bye André