Increase Account Schedule Dimensions from 4 to 8

Hi,

I need to increase the number of Dimensions in the account schedule from 4 to use all 8, i find it weird that Nav supports 8 but i can only use 4. is there an update for this ? or do i need to add it by code?

Thanks,

This is not correct - Navision supports UNLIMITED number of Dimensions, max 8 of them are “shortcut” dimensions (2 Global + 6 Shortcut) which for easier access can be put directly in Journal or Document Line, so nothing weird here…

Account Schedule with so much Dims will be rather clumsy to maintain and later doing Analysis will be “performance-killer”, as number of records in such AS grows in geometric progression. Do you really need ALL Dims in ONE Acc.Schedule? Usually in such cases several Acc.Schedules are created, each with different set of Dims.

Hi,

thanks for your reply, i dont understand what you said in your first paragraph, you say that there are unlimited Dimensions then you say there are only 8 … I know there are 8 groups and you can have unlimited dimension values for each of these groups, but this is not the issue. Maybe i need to be more clear.

In the account schedule you can work with 4 (2 Global + 2 Shorcut) out of the 8 dimension groups, My client uses all 8 Dimension groups and wants to filter accordingly, wheather this is a performence issue or not it needs to be done… Ho do i do this.

Why?

Can you please explain why you need to use 8 dimensiond for analysis at the same time; plesae give us examples of the different dimensions and we may be able to help you.

Ziad,

There seems to be a little terminology mess…

There is NO such thing as Dimension group.

To put it clear: Navision supports UNLIMITED count of Dimensions, each of them in turn can have UNLIMITED count of Dimension Values. Dimension Values can be of 5 types: Standard, Heading, Total, Begin-Total, End-Total. (similar to G/L Accounts)

From the unlimited count of Dimensions you may set up 2 Global + any other 6 more as 8 Shortcut Dimensions, which are usually the most used ones, they can be put in Journal and Document lines directly on corresponding Form as columms for quick entry. However, you can still enter them and other possible Dimensions not set up as Shortcut Dimensions through Form 546 “Document Dimensions”

In Account Schedule you use included Dimensions only for FILTERING, not slicing & dicing your data - for that purpose Analysis View exists, especially, when exported to Excel Pivot table, as Navision Matrix form is “flat” (read 2-dimensional), but in Excel Pivot table you have far more options.

So, even 4 Dims in AS are almost too many already for usual usage. Of course – to answer yor question at last [:D] – you can modify AS to include more Dims, but it will be not that easy, as many Tables, Forms and CUs are involved, but it is not a recommended solution.
The same with AV and Analysis By Dimensions Form - it has only 4 Dims, too, plus G/L Acc plus Posting Date (called Period), but up to now I haven’t seen a situation, where this is not enough.

Normaly you create many AS & AV, not one universal, including everything & all, and for different analytical purposes use the corresponding one.