Importing to General Journal

It´s very basic, but how can I import, in a very simple way, a file with ledger entry to Navision Financials, using dataport. Can I import directly to the table or I have to use the journal. Thanks

In theory you can import directly in “G/L Entry” with many “if”: accounts must be ONLY G/L Accounts, you must calculate “Add.-Curr.” amounts (if needed), amounts cannot contain VAT amounts, … … … Or you must manually do all this things It’s not correctly but possible. Please do not import directly, use Journal → Posting. Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

I have done this recentley, but I fully agree with Alexei about importing to the Journal. My reason for this was for the validation of the data contained within this file(I also has to alter some codes once in Navision); I personally felt (and so did the client) that posting of data should always be done by someone of relevant knowledge and experience, as the person who preapared this data was an input clerk, not an accounts person.

Alexei: Also there are Registers that you need to take care of… You would end up re-writing a good chunk of code that already exists in codeunit 12…why bother. Joao: if you do not want to review a journal after it has been imported, it becomes even simplier: var GenJnlLine: Record 81 GenJnlPostLine: Codeunit 12 GenJnlLine.INIT; GenJnlLine.VALIDATE(Field, your value); … GenJnlPostLine.(GenJnlLine); Cycle through your entries, they will be automatically validated and posted. Regards, Alex

My advice is: Never import directly to any of the ledgers. Always use the Journals as all the checks are tried and tested. Customer and Vendor Ledgers Invoices, Credit Memo’s etc: to Customers & Vendors take there “Entry No.” from the register to which they are associated, they are not sequencial. If the G/L entries are 1234 to 1238 the Customer Ledger Entry would be 1234 as well. If you posted historic data into the Customer Ledgers without the G/L Entries you would get a message that the entry already exist’s as the G/L register Numbers the Customer Ledger. So if its Historic Data or Live Data then use the Journals and a suspense account. Then your Debtors TB will match the Debtors Control TB. When you post the Balance sheet and Income entries the suspense Account should net off to zero. David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk

quote:

Never import directly to any of the ledgers. Always use the Journals as all the checks are tried and tested.

If there is - nowadays - a reason for death penalty it would be for importing directly into a ledger table! In many cases - like e.g. importing customers or items from another old piece of software - I even go so far as not to import the data directly into the customer/item table but use miror-tables instead which hold 1:1 the junk from the old program and are being processed and transferred in a second step into the “real” navision table. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

Many thanks for all your answers. I will import for the journal. Regards João Ferreira

quote:

Originally posted by fabian:

quote:

Never import directly to any of the ledgers. Always use the Journals as all the checks are tried and tested.

If there is - nowadays - a reason for death penalty it would be for importing directly into a ledger table! Marcus Fabian

My ex-boss at the NSC I used to work for actually did this once. We had a client which was a family-owned company, and the patriarch of the family decided to retire— so he sold the company to some out of state investors. The new owners wanted to keep using Navision, and liked what we had done for the old ownership— but they wanted to use a totally different chart of accounts. Unfortunately, some of the accounts in the new chart of accounts mapped to multiple accounts in the old chart of accounts, so we couldn’t just rename all the accounts. Without telling me what he was doing, my boss imported all the old Ledger Entries to the new system, but in the process he ended up with some ledger entries which had non-existent account numbers. Luckily, he did have enough sense to import to all the ledgers, not just the G/L. And then we did a lot of work with the Account Schedules, and we ended up with numbers that didn’t add correctly. I remembered Tom Blaisdell telling us repeatedly in Enterprise Foundations class that the answer to “should you ever import directly into a ledger” is “NO NO NO NO NO NO.” My boss didn’t go through Enterprise as well, but Tom was not his teacher :slight_smile: Tom WAS the support person at Navision US who finally figured out the problem, which was embarassing, but we had a good laugh about it. And that was about the time I began thinking about getting a new job… ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com Edited by - horrigan on 2001 Jun 29 01:16:23

As a newbie to the forum, I wondered if any of you know if a standard file format is available for uploading into G/L. Primarily in NAV.

Hi Kim,
Long time no see and welcome to the user group.

There’s really no “standard file format” for doing that. If you’re creating an automated import, then using a dataport (or alternativly an XML port) is the best suggestion. If you’re doing a onetime import, then you can use the Excel mapping tools.