Importing Customer Entries

I am reading customer history into a journal using a dataport. The customer application methods are all set to ‘Apply to Oldest’. When I post the journal all the posted entries show as ‘Open’. Any ideas why this might be … ?

Have you compared the values in the General Journal Line with a manual line? What I mostly do is insert a line manual, do CTRL+F8 and copy to excel. Do this also with a line, created by the dataport, and compare in excel using the IF statement [^] This mostly works, unless the manual line fails to.

quote:

I am reading customer history into a journal using a dataport. The customer application methods are all set to ‘Apply to Oldest’. When I post the journal all the posted entries show as ‘Open’. Any ideas why this might be … ?
Originally posted by bob_up - 2005 Sep 08 : 15:41:56

Ouch! Don’t go down that road Bob. Never import history into navisions ledger entries like that. Only import open entries. You really need to fully understand the impact before importing history to the ledger entries. I recommend you to put the old data into separate tables.

He right. Law 4 or 5 for Navision developers. Never, Never touch Posted Entries. Go through Navision Journals/ Unposted Documents to get there. Navision will perform all validations required and additional 15+ codeunits. One of them is the Apply’s(Closed) routines. You might have also missed other tables people don’t know about, like were the dimension are kept when a record is posted. If you are ever curious on what gets touched during posting. Activate the Navision tracer. It will tell you all objects (Tables) touched. Good tool for all developers. (Going into Debugger and pressing F8 or F5 just takes to long). You should use the debugger for other things. Bye.

quote:

Go through Navision Journals/ Unposted Documents to get there.
Originally posted by gfuentes - 2005 Sep 09 : 04:59:14

Customer ledger entries isn’t as tricky as when it comes to item ledger entries. If You import to journals post it you will have open entries. Then you will need to apply these also using a journal. But my advice is anyway not to do it. Only use Navision for data created in Navision. Dont put the data from an old system in to Navisions native tables. Create new tables for that.

Hi Lars well I can’t remember ever disagreeing with any of your posts[:D], but in this case I do, sorry [B)] I have imported old system history into Navsion for virtually every Navision implementation I have ever done. Going back even to the OS/2 days. And this includes, G/L, customer Vendor and Item ledgers. I nearly always use a Dataport (unless there is a time constraint for the conversion) to import the historical Data into a Journal, and post the Journal. I always set up the Journals so that after posting, entries are closed where they should be. In the early days I wrote a set of generic data conversion routines that I could re-use for every customer, but eventually realized that since every “old System” and Every cleint were so different, that I spent more work on customizing the conversion routines, than re-writing new for each client. So now I write new conversion routines for every implementation. Sometimes I will ring History into one set of journals, and Open entries into another, sometimes pull them all into one journal, it just depends on the existing system. In bob’s case, he is definitely doing something wrong, since it is definitely possible to have the historical entries post as closed and applied. Though I will say I do NOT like doing this with open entry method, and always setup historical documents to apply to other specific historical documents. Sorry to disagree on this Lars, do you have some bad experiences[?],

Well. sometimes got to be the first David [;)] Yes. I have some old bad memories of converting item ledger entries screwing the fifo-applications up. But that’s many years ago. OK. I agree it’s technically possible as long as you know what your doing. But the downside of it is that you often preserve an old structure when you would benefit from a change. Take customers for example. I often see our clients having separat customers for each delivery adress in the old system. This is one thing you don’t want to take in to Navision. Of course you can convert the old data to reflect the structural changes you do when going over to navision but it can be a lot of work to do. I think it’s best to look at the clients business with fresh eyes and leave the old structures and the old data behind. This way you take most advantage of the possibilites in Navision. But this is a matter of opinion. There’s no right answer. But up til now this has worked fine for me and helps my client to think new.

I totally agree with you, that this needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing, and more importantly that knows the long term effects down the road. I also agree with what you say about customers etc. I always recommend (and most often convince) clients to take advantage of NAvisions structure (I’ve never seen a client want to import one customer per ship to adress, that must have been a night mare). Generally the hardest fight to win, is changing Item Numbers, thats about a 50% win in my experience. But in terms of history, I think it is critical to convert the old data into the Navision structure, and import it. If you hae a system, that can not look at last years data, and give you comparison reports, or tell you what sales you did over the last 4 years, the customer is going to be very frustrated. The only soultion would be to write a custom report everytime they wanted to look at history. The at each upgrade convert those reports. In every case, I analysed the structure of the old data, and then manipulated that data to conform to Naviison structure, so that everything such as Navigate works correctly. Customers love being ableto drill down onto a GL account, find a five year old invoice, press Navigate, and see more data thatn they were able to see in their old system. This give you great buy in factor with the users. I have clients that istalled Navision 3.04, (character based), that had their sales and Item history imported, that (theoretically at least) when they upgrade to Dynamics, they should still be able to run reports that will use that history. By the way, in the US, if you did not give the client the option of importing their history to standard tables, you would basically have no chance of doing business. PS of the many implementations that I have done, it easily over 100 that I have imported history for, or at least designed the import for someone to do. Yes tere have been problems, but in the end they outweighed the fact of loosing all that history. I have also imported to seperate tables on a few occasions, but that is very rare.[;)]

Hi there, Am facing a similiar issue with one of our clients at the moment. They want to bring in historical sales data mainly for their sales reporting purposes. Our tentative solution was to import all these historical data into a separate table and then change the existing customised reports to capture the historical data into the report. However this solution doesnt fit very well into the report as there is a high possiblity of the data being inconsistent. We are currently on a tight schedule and cannot afford to import the entire historical sales invoices. is there anyway else that we can import this historical sales data? perhaps via item journal? David you mentioned that you have previously imported historical data into navision,could u pehaps ellaborate further how u have done this? Would appreciate if anyone could get back to me asap. :slight_smile: thanks and regards, ally