How would I receive into inventory items that we just storing for a customer (there is only a sales order for the storage charges)

Due to low order volume we’re renting out warehouse space and would like to use the warehouse functionality we have already set up to keep track of the bin locations of the items we are going to store for customers. There will be a sales order for each customer we are storing items for, but I’m struggling to find a good way to receive these items into the system so they show available for our warehousing put away list. We do this all the time with purchase orders, production, and returns, but this scenario isn’t any of the above. Any suggestions (obviously we’d like to tie in to the sales order, rather than just simply backdoor the system with a journal entry, if possible).

Thanks for any help.

Why don;t you just create the owner of the items as a vendor, then create a purchase order to them for the items all at zero cost and receive them in normally. I would recommend creating a whole new location for this, unless you have to mix the ites in with yours, in which case make sure you have a good way to differentiate the items.

Short answer is I was hoping for the a way to make the source document on the item receipt into the warehouse be the sales order under which we are being paid to store the items, rather than a 0 value purchase order from a vendor who is in reality the customer and with no link at all to the sales order. I wasn’t aware of a clean way to do this based on what I know about item receipts, so I tossed it out there hoping someone else may have a clever hack to accomplish this. Surely someone somewhere has wanted to basically receive items from a sales order that aren’t service items or returns.

why?

Just keep it simple, you seem to want to complicate the process for no reason.

When you “sell” the goods later, just use a a bill to as the company that actually pays for the storage, and the Sell to as the company that receives the goods. Then add a handling fee or what ever charge you need to the invoice.